× Forum Header

Customizing StepConf Wizard

More
10 Sep 2015 16:25 #62373 by viktan
Hi,
I trying to write own configuration wizard based on StepConf. I went over all gui tutorial on gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gui/ but after all I'm not successful with build StepConf from source codes. Can anyone help me with the basic steps how to build this configuration wizard without any changes in code? (what tools is needed, locations, etc.. ) I using linuxcnc Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Glade 3.6.7, Python 2.6.5
Thanks,
Viktor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2015 18:26 #62377 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Customizing StepConf Wizard

Hi,
I trying to write own configuration wizard based on StepConf. I went over all gui tutorial on gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gui/ but after all I'm not successful with build StepConf from source codes. Can anyone help me with the basic steps how to build this configuration wizard without any changes in code? (what tools is needed, locations, etc.. ) I using linuxcnc Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Glade 3.6.7, Python 2.6.5
Thanks,
Viktor

src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf.py

lib/python/stepconf/*.py

You don't need to build it, it is just a python script. Change whatever you want and run it to test

regards

PS Glade 3 won't help you, everything in Linuxcnc is still Glade 2

More
10 Sep 2015 20:29 #62392 by viktan
Replied by viktan on topic Customizing StepConf Wizard
It is possible to run script anywhere or it need to be on specific location? I trying it to run on /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf

How can I run it? I tried by ./stepconf.py and answer was:
"cannot find linuxcnc-wizard.gif, looked in /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/../share/linuxcnc/stepconf and /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/../share/linuxcnc"
also when I added missing file to same directory where is other files

Now I running on Debian, image was from www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download

thanks
Viktor

More
10 Sep 2015 20:42 #62394 by ArcEye
You are making things too difficult for yourself.

Build the RIP, run . ./scripts/rip-environment and the PYTHON path will be set up

Run stepconf from the root dir of the RIP

When you want to change something edit the /src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/stepconf.py file and the run make again

You could just edit the copy of stepconf in /bin directly, but you would have to copy any changes back to the source file or they would be deleted next build

The gif file is in the root dir of the rip, the 'compiled' stepconf will find it

regards

More
11 Sep 2015 15:19 #62435 by viktan
First of all Thank you for your help and patience.

We work on control board for RaspberryPi, based on FPGA for stepper motors and system is from Machinekit. We are done with HAL componets and all other configurations, but now we need to write any configuration wizard. First I trying do it on linuxcnc x86 because there is bigger community for support. Until now we don't have any experience with linux system and python.

If it possible can you or somebody write me the exact step by step how to run stepconf from linuxcnc-dev destination? I tried but I can't repeat the last steps from ArcEye (rip-environment..)

Thanks,
Viktor

More
11 Sep 2015 20:49 - 11 Sep 2015 21:19 #62460 by ArcEye
Open a terminal and STAY in it.

cd /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/src

make clean && ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && sudo make setuid

cd ../

. ./scripts/rip-environment

stepconf

Now edit /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/stepconf.py with your changes
(or home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/stepconf/*.py - but save the original first because they are not regenerated)
then go back to src

cd /home/cnc/linuxcnc-dev/src

make

and you will be running the edited version of stepconf next time you start it.

It is important to realise that . ./scripts/rip-environment sets the environment for THAT terminal shell session only

If you open another terminal or use the menu, you will be using the system installed version of stepconf, not the one from the RIP

regards
Last edit: 11 Sep 2015 21:19 by ArcEye.

More
11 Sep 2015 21:22 #62469 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Customizing StepConf Wizard
If you are using machinekit then you might want to check how to compile machinekit instead of linuccnc.
machinekit is a fork of linuxcnc and has diverged enough the build system may be slightly different.

Chris M

More
11 Sep 2015 22:29 #62472 by ArcEye

If you are using machinekit then you might want to check how to compile machinekit instead of linuccnc.
machinekit is a fork of linuxcnc and has diverged enough the build system may be slightly different.

Chris M

It is exactly the same, except that the Machinekit build will detect the kernel type(s) and build for that kernel(s).
The following user(s) said Thank You: viktan

More
14 Sep 2015 17:48 #62555 by viktan
It works!

Now I have to learn Python B)

Thanks
Viktor

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds