× Forum Header

Stepconf HAL: ERROR: duplicate component name 'hal

More
10 Jan 2016 21:19 #68161 by cmorley
So I reread your posts and did some tests.
In the pic you posted you have halui checked so stepconf should include halui.
So I tested and stepconf seems to include/not include HALUI as per checkmark.

What version of linuxcnc are you using?
Are you sure you remembered to uncheck halui checkbutton in stepconf?
Thanks
Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicokid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 16:08 #68181 by nicokid

So I reread your posts and did some tests.
In the pic you posted you have halui checked so stepconf should include halui.
So I tested and stepconf seems to include/not include HALUI as per checkmark.

Ok, you are right.
In fact I confused the flag:
Include Halui user interface components
with the flag
Include connections to HAL
(that I did not understand what it does...). Now the [HALUI] section is removed.
Unfortunately there is no way to include the MDI_COMMAND in a different place from the [HALUI] section on the INI file. I did not understand why this command does not work or it probably does not do what I think:
loadusr halui -ini /path/to/inifile.ini

P.S Right now I have downloaded the latest version of git away LinuxCNC and I started to look into the sources of stepconf. First I almost completely adapted the glade files to Gtk3. Then I think I could add a window to stepconf with a text box to enter inside the custom MDI_COMMAND.
Thanks, Nicola.

More
12 Jan 2016 11:33 #68225 by andypugh

Unfortunately there is no way to include the MDI_COMMAND in a different place from the [HALUI] section on the INI file. I did not understand why this command does not work or it probably does not do what I think:
loadusr halui -ini /path/to/inifile.ini

Are you pointing it at an INI file that contains a [HALUI]MDI_COMMAND section? Looking at the halui source code it looks like it ought to work.

More
13 Jan 2016 09:23 #68293 by ArcEye

Right now I have downloaded the latest version of git away LinuxCNC and I started to look into the sources of stepconf. First I almost completely adapted the glade files to Gtk3. Then I think I could add a window to stepconf with a text box to enter inside the custom MDI_COMMAND.

Andy has already hinted at it, but you are possibly missing the purpose of stepconf.

It is not a menu based GUI editor for Linuxcnc configurations.

It is a tool to quickly enable a working configuration to be produced, which can be fine tuned.
Once you have a working configuration, you do not let stepconf anywhere near it.

If you want to add anything, MDI command or whatever, you open the ini or hal file in an editor.

NB. If you change files to glade/gtk 3, you will be at odds with all the other parts of linuxcnc, since AFAIK there are no gladevcp glade3 widgets, which is why glade2 is used.

regards

More
13 Jan 2016 11:00 #68299 by cmorley

Right now I have downloaded the latest version of git away LinuxCNC and I started to look into the sources of stepconf. First I almost completely adapted the glade files to Gtk3. Then I think I could add a window to stepconf with a text box to enter inside the custom MDI_COMMAND.

Andy has already hinted at it, but you are possibly missing the purpose of stepconf.

It is not a menu based GUI editor for Linuxcnc configurations.

It is a tool to quickly enable a working configuration to be produced, which can be fine tuned.
Once you have a working configuration, you do not let stepconf anywhere near it.

If you want to add anything, MDI command or whatever, you open the ini or hal file in an editor.

NB. If you change files to glade/gtk 3, you will be at odds with all the other parts of linuxcnc, since AFAIK there are no gladevcp glade3 widgets, which is why glade2 is used.

regards

As stepconf is stand alone it can be gtk2, gtk3 (or qt or..)

If you have gone to the trouble of converting to gtk3 please consider sending a patch (against master branch) to linuxcnc.
An added page for INI MDI commands I would prefer to be a separate patch.

Chris M

More
13 Jan 2016 12:02 #68304 by nicokid
Hi, Chris Morley nice to meet you. Sorry but I did not realize who you were (Chris M == Chris Morley). My brain was a bit confused :blink:
In truth I had tried to change from gtk2 to gtk3 in configure.in and I realized immediately that there are some problems. Fortunately I realized that in fact stepconf is a standalone program :)
The easy part was to convert .glade files from gtk2 to gtk3.
As for python there are libraries in common between pnpconf and stepconf. I mean multifilebuilder but I think it can be integrated into the stepconf.py file and fix it.

Ok for the patches. Tonight or tomorrow night I go ahead with the migration of gtk. When it is finished we make a thing apart for HALUI. You could always help out ... :laugh:
Nicola.

More
15 Jan 2016 01:50 #68428 by cmorley
Hi Nicola.

We might want to just make a multifilebuild-gtk3 file - in the event pncconf gets converted in the future.

yes there are two Chrises in linuxcnc dev circle so I add the M - too lazy to add morley :|)
Chris M

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds