× Forum Header

2 y axis steppers and linuxcnc

More
23 Jan 2016 00:10 #68944 by sandman92k
Need some help, I am trying to configure linuxcnc to run my machine, I use two nema 23 steppers to move the y axis, but i can not figure out how to configure this in linux, i am not programmer, so any files, videos or detailed help would work.

please

Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2016 17:10 #70374 by scalci
I am in the same boat...

More
19 Feb 2016 19:17 - 19 Feb 2016 19:21 #70378 by Todd Zuercher
Depending on the version of Linuxcnc your using, there is a new hal component called gantry.comp. It was just added to the 2.7.4 release. I don't think there is any documentation for it yet.
Here is a link to a configuration example(s) made by the author using it.
There are some other ways, to set up a gantry as well, none of which I would consider really simple to set up for a novice user. There are varying degrees of complexity you can add that may give better results to the end product.

The simplest way to start with:
Simply send the same step/dir output signal to 2 drives, This is the simplest solution to a gantry machine but has the draw back of not offering any way of squaring the gantry, other than running the machine against hard stops. Not the most elegant solution but can be effective.

The next step in complexity would be the above gantry comp.

Third way is to add a means to square the a simple slaved set up (simular to the above). This is my personal preference. I would set up each side of the gantry with seperate step generators (like the gantry.comp example), both driven by the same axis position command, except one would also pass through an offset.comp. Home both sides of the gantry together using a home switch on one side (call that the master side). Then use a probe routine to locate a second home switch on the "slave side". Then calculate the offset for the slave side from that probed position to adjust the square of the gantry. (The advantage to this is that the home switches don't need to be perfectly square to each other.)

A 4th way would be to use a Gantrykins set up. There is an example simulation configuration included with Linuxcnc. This way has advantages and disadvantages.

A 5th way would be to install an experimental branch version of Linuxcnc called Joints-Axis, and use another kins called Gentrivkins. This has most of the advantages of Gantrykins, without many of the disadvantages.

It is very unfortunate that there isn't a clear well documented path for configuring a machine like this. Nor even a consensus as to the best way. (let alone a simple way.)
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 19:21 by Todd Zuercher.

More
23 Feb 2016 22:48 #70538 by andypugh

Depending on the version of Linuxcnc your using, there is a new hal component called gantry.comp. It was just added to the 2.7.4 release. I don't think there is any documentation for it yet.

There is a manual page:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/gantry.9.html

I rather see it as a stop-gap solution until joints-axes is mainlined, I am not sure if the author sees it the same way.

More
13 May 2016 07:45 #74587 by mjohnsonsa
I am just setting up LinuxCNC and have been using Mach3 with two motors on the Y-Axis. For my initial setup of LinuxCNC I set both motors to use the Y-Dir and Step so they run together, however I want to start using the Gantry Component mentioned in this thread so I can have it auto-square the gantry when homing like Mach3 did, I looked at the manual but am not sure how to implement it, can someone explain how to add that component into my HAL configuration?

Thanks,
Matt

Here is a link to a configuration example(s) made by the author using it.
There are some other ways, to set up a gantry as well, none of which I would consider really simple to set up for a novice user. There are varying degrees of complexity you can add that may give better results to the end product.

The simplest way to start with:
Simply send the same step/dir output signal to 2 drives, This is the simplest solution to a gantry machine but has the draw back of not offering any way of squaring the gantry, other than running the machine against hard stops. Not the most elegant solution but can be effective.

The next step in complexity would be the above gantry comp.

Third way is to add a means to square the a simple slaved set up (simular to the above). This is my personal preference. I would set up each side of the gantry with seperate step generators (like the gantry.comp example), both driven by the same axis position command, except one would also pass through an offset.comp. Home both sides of the gantry together using a home switch on one side (call that the master side). Then use a probe routine to locate a second home switch on the "slave side". Then calculate the offset for the slave side from that probed position to adjust the square of the gantry. (The advantage to this is that the home switches don't need to be perfectly square to each other.)

A 4th way would be to use a Gantrykins set up. There is an example simulation configuration included with Linuxcnc. This way has advantages and disadvantages.

A 5th way would be to install an experimental branch version of Linuxcnc called Joints-Axis, and use another kins called Gentrivkins. This has most of the advantages of Gantrykins, without many of the disadvantages.

It is very unfortunate that there isn't a clear well documented path for configuring a machine like this. Nor even a consensus as to the best way. (let alone a simple way.)

More
13 May 2016 11:27 #74590 by andypugh

Just as a point of information, Joints_Axes no longer includes gentrivkins or gantrykins, all the functionality of those kinematics is included in a modified trivkins.

The documentation for the Joints_Axes branch is now available at www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja

The specific change relating to kinematics is described here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja/html/getting-st...#_kinematics_modules

More
13 May 2016 16:18 #74609 by mjohnsonsa
How do I get the Joints-Axis branch? Looking at the install document for Ubuntu (www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja/html/getting-st...ng_on_ubuntu_precise) it is the same apt-get command as you use for the standard linuxcnc, shouldn't that be different for Joints-Axis?

- Matt

Just as a point of information, Joints_Axes no longer includes gentrivkins or gantrykins, all the functionality of those kinematics is included in a modified trivkins.

The documentation for the Joints_Axes branch is now available at www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja

The specific change relating to kinematics is described here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja/html/getting-st...#_kinematics_modules

More
13 May 2016 17:10 #74612 by pommen
There is also the "Gantry" component for that use. ( linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/gantry.9.html )
I have it working with two Y steppers quite nicely. There's a sample HAL file here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/47-hal-examples...8-gantry-hal-example

It was (for me) a good way to get in to how HAL syntax works. Give it a shot =)

/Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjohnsonsa

More
13 May 2016 18:00 #74617 by andypugh

How do I get the Joints-Axis branch? Looking at the install document for Ubuntu (www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja/html/getting-st...ng_on_ubuntu_precise) it is the same apt-get command as you use for the standard linuxcnc, shouldn't that be different for Joints-Axis?

Yes, those are docs from an unreleased branch written to be correct as and when the branch is released (you will note that there is no direct link to them from anywhere else).

If you look at the bottom of buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ you will see a "scratch" section. If you add that to apt / synaptic then you wil have to option to install any of many experimental branches. As of last night we are up to JA14.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds