× Forum Header

lathe help

More
20 Mar 2018 10:39 #107592 by warwickben
Replied by warwickben on topic lathe help
not sure, its just a basic 7x12 mini lathe.
littlemachineshop.com/products/product_v...&category=1023914534

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2018 10:56 #107593 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic lathe help
There are some CNC conversion kits here:
littlemachineshop.com/products/product_f...us=Conversion%20Kits

They seem rather elaborate. I would normally expect to simply wire the analogue voltage in in place of the potentiometer, though this is not always possible depending on the drive.

More
20 Mar 2018 15:29 #107616 by warwickben
those control boards for the cnc conversion, don't work with the controller that is in the lathe.
from what ive figured out on my own there meant for the higher end lathes they sell. the control board on the 7x12 is different setup compared to the 7x14/7x16 since they have a different motor.

i wouldn't mind buying a whole new controller if needed.

More
21 Mar 2018 13:18 #107661 by andypugh
If you are going to buy a new controller then you would need to work out what type of motor it is. (You haven't said)

More
21 Mar 2018 14:09 #107663 by warwickben
from what ive found out its a 3/4HP 110V 1-PH

More
21 Mar 2018 15:52 #107673 by andypugh
Is it an induction motor then? Variable-speed single-phase motors are pretty unusual.

(In fact the first article I found says that they are a terrible idea)
www.variablespeeddrive.co.za/can-a-varia...se-motor-156607.html

More
23 Mar 2018 23:20 #107773 by verticalperformance
Replied by verticalperformance on topic lathe help
Have a look at this one www.homanndesigns.com/index.php?main_pag...sdsr5dkjm85hnktlr1r7

I've got a DC-04 on my sherline equipment and it works well, and I think many of the low cost machines use a KBIC style control board too.

The sherline has single phase AC input 100~240V, however the motor is a 90V DC motor.

Take care though - the manual states

*** WARNING ***
The KB Electronics DC speed controller circuit, and other similar speed controllers as found in Asian imported mini lathes and mini mills are at mains voltage potential.
This voltage is lethal. Do not attempt to do this conversion if you are not qualified to do so. Confidence is no replacement for qualification!
If you feel that this project is beyond your abilities to SAFELY complete, we can install the unit for you. Please contact us for details
Please ensure you read the complete manual before attempting to install or use this device.

The DC motor controllers that the DigiSpeed-SL™ is designed to work with such as the Sherline DC motor controller and KBIC-120 controller supplied by KB Electronics, use a “Hot Ground” circuitry.
That is, the reference voltages for setting
the speed are at MAINS POTENTIAL voltage. This voltage is dangerous and can be lethal.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds