× Forum Header

Automatic Parallel Port Tester from StepConfig

More
22 Apr 2018 21:57 #109461 by shipmodeller
I have been fighting small issues with the parallel Ports, and have modified the Parallel Port Test programs to be more atune to what my system looks like.. and it does seem to work well. But then, I really couldn't wrap my head around which Pin # was what signal in the test phase.

So I modified the port test yet again to reflect both the pin number AND the signal associated with it.. so it made it much easier to relate and test. That being said.. I was wondering, it sure would be a lot easier if the current stepperconfig program would emit this automatically. After all, it DOES already know what each pin is and the name for it... AND, it might be nice to have the automated tester files for pins. And, if the translators do their jobs, it would emit the information in a locale.

halcmd -I -f ptest2ports.hal

Just musing
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2018 00:09 #109739 by Grotius
Hi Shipmodeller,

The stepconfig wizard in linuxcnc is very basic related to the mach3 way.
My biggest issue was to find out to get the scale value and motor tuning correct.

Gmocappy has integrated within the 2.8 version a nice stepconfig wizard to choose also gmocappy.
This is very nice to expand the stepconfig wizard. A port tester integrated in the wizard is peanut' s for the linux programmers.
But i think they are waiting for that command.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shipmodeller

More
28 Apr 2018 10:53 #109753 by InMyDarkestHour
Actually modifying or rolling your own port tester is a great way to get introduced to hal. I was a bit fuzzy with hal to be begin with, but after designing a Beaglebone Black cape to work with Machinekit and then reading the Linuxcnc docs and wiki, everything just seemed to "click".

More
28 Apr 2018 14:20 #109764 by shipmodeller
I guess there are two philosophies at work here. I agree with you that it is a great way to learn some of HAL, I most certainly did. But, the space Linux CNC occupies is limited then, will always be limited. I tried, TRIED , to use EMC2 long time ago, but gave up, and used Mach for 15 years, because it was just too difficult too set up.. That was after one DIY machine, one Shop Task CNC, and one Tormach PCNC 1100. I then built a large DIY Router, and decided to use Linux CNC on it. Not because of HAL, but because Tormach had switched over to that platform, albeit hiding all the intricacies ( Path Pilot ). Given a KNOWN good machine.. switching one thing, MACH 3 to LinuxCNC was ideal. But no, I had to do two unknowns.. :-) And then add a new one yet again by adding dual X Axis drives. It has been an experience, and to tell you the truth.. there was NO NEED for me to know HAL to get this job done, but I was forced into it. The program suite ( EMC2 ) still needs to be polished off so that everything can be configured without hand modifying anything. Users will chose Linux CNC over Mach if Install, Config and Run does not require jumping through hoops, tearing hair out, and trying to pour through reams of forums to figure out issues. I like Linux CNC, have moved over to 2.8, but I still don't think it has not caused, nor has not resolved my issues. If I was younger, perhaps I would dive in.. but after 50+ years as an Computer Engineer and Programmer... I want to play with machines.. not struggle with the code.. :-) Sorry for the long perhaps off topic response.,

More
28 Apr 2018 21:32 #109772 by Grotius
Hi shipmodeller,

I like your story !!

What do you advise the linux cnc program makers?
And how do you think about the future of linuxcnc?

Do you think in about 2 years linuxcnc rules over mach ?

More
28 Apr 2018 22:52 #109780 by shipmodeller
No, I don't think Linux CNC will overtake Mach in less than 5 or 7 years.. EMC2 is still in need of work.. though the skins around make this much easier. Traction has to be gained by manufacturers using the product OEM, out of the box.. I am a below the covers programmer.. you NEVER want me to do, suggest, advise anything with a GUI .. ;-) I sure would like it to succeed. And I do like the Joints vs axis terminology .. though for most of us, the Axis is what we end up with.

It just needs to be easier to use, with more plugin's that don't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to add in.. And obvious one's ... Again, this is really off the topic of Automatic generation of the parallel port tester, but I do like to talk about opportunities.

More
28 Apr 2018 23:05 #109781 by InMyDarkestHour

Hi shipmodeller,

I like your story !!

What do you advise the linux cnc program makers?
And how do you think about the future of linuxcnc?

Do you think in about 2 years linuxcnc rules over mach ?

It would all depend on M$ roadmap for Windows ;)

More
02 May 2018 21:39 #110057 by andypugh

A port tester integrated in the wizard is peanut' s for the linux programmers..

Yes, this does sound very simple.

I suspect that the reason that nobody has thought of it is that very few of the developers use the parallel port, and if they did they would probably just write the HAL by hand. :-)

We have an Issues List here: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues but I can't immediately find a feature request section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shipmodeller

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds