× Forum Header

spindle calibration

More
06 Jun 2018 00:42 #111710 by ericg
spindle calibration was created by ericg
Hi,

I have a dewalt router which runs at a minimum of 5000rpm to a maximum of 30000rpm, this is driven by a parallel port via a Gecko G540 driver to a super-pid spindle vfd.

Everything is working well and I can con control the speed of the router to some degree but it is really woefully far off in speed to what I command.

The stepconf wizard has some spindle calibration notes but is referring to a much slower spindle speed than what mine is, and when I try to calibrate it according to the notes I get crazy results.

If I set stepconf spindle settings to 0rpm 0pwm, and 30000rpm 1pwm the lower speeds are close but the max rpm I get is 18000rpm regardless of what I command ( eg m3 s27000).

I'm a bit lost so any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Manually controlling the speed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2018 23:25 #111800 by ericg
Replied by ericg on topic spindle calibration
Think I found my own answer, I changed Motherboards a while back, and didn't check the parallel port output voltages, turns out the output voltage is 3.3v not 5v.

3.3v is 66% of 5v and I was maxing out at about 19000rpm which is about 63% of the maximum 30000rpm.

I sometimes amaze myself with my own stupidity.

Off to get a new motherboard.

Eric

More
07 Jun 2018 16:27 #111897 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic spindle calibration
You could probably achieve the same result with an opto-isolator or probably even a pull-up to 5V on the parport output.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds