× Forum Header

mesa 5i25/7i77 Yaskawa servo

More
27 Aug 2019 12:41 #143321 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic mesa 5i25/7i77 Yaskawa servo

Thanks Tommy,
Sometimes the obvious eludes you. Yes home switches at one end but run to the other end of the table for home itself.

Still can't see the easiest way to change from a LH to RH axis orientation. I'm stuck at either physically reversing the output of one of the 3 encoders or switching the axis naming such that X is across the bed (along the gantry) and Y is the longest axis. Is there a convention here we should stick to?

I have worked on a few Morbedli's, or however you spell it.

Standing in front of the long Axis left to right, that should be the X. Y home should be away from you. Y being the axis across the Gantry. Machine 0 should be left back.

Why do you want to change that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2019 22:57 #143499 by andypugh

So it appears there's no particular standard re left or right handed axis setup. Goes for driving on Australian vs. Italian roads I suppose

No, you absolutely need +X to move the tool to the right of the work, +Y to move the tool behind the work and +Z to move the tool above the work.

But the viewpoint from which you view these movements can be anywhere. The typical lathe coordinate system only makes sense lying under the lathe looking up.

Machines that move the tool for some axes and the work for others can really complicate the visualisation.
But just always look at how the tool moves relative to the work.

More
01 Sep 2019 12:08 - 01 Sep 2019 12:09 #143775 by bevins

So it appears there's no particular standard re left or right handed axis setup. Goes for driving on Australian vs. Italian roads I suppose

No, you absolutely need +X to move the tool to the right of the work, +Y to move the tool behind the work and +Z to move the tool above the work.

But the viewpoint from which you view these movements can be anywhere. The typical lathe coordinate system only makes sense lying under the lathe looking up.

Machines that move the tool for some axes and the work for others can really complicate the visualisation.
But just always look at how the tool moves relative to the work.

Andy,

The Morbedelli machines have the home behind the workpiece. Therefore -Y moves the tool behind the workpiece. He would need to move the Y home switch to achieve this.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2019 12:09 by bevins.

More
01 Sep 2019 19:04 #143798 by Todd Zuercher
The home switch can be anywhere within the machine's range of travel and that point given any value. I have a linuxcnc machine configured with a 65 inch long y axis and use the positive y limit as the home switch. It homes and parks a couple of inches from the switch and sets that position as 60.00

More
01 Sep 2019 19:28 #143803 by bevins
Yes you can put the home anywhere you want but the way these machines are built and setup they put it back left corner for very specific reasons. It is much easier to operate these machines with it there. This one is a pod point to p[oint type system. The pop up shafts are on the left and back so when they pop up, you slide the large 4x8 pieces or whatever right up against them, then turn on the vacuum and drop the pins. So he uses it like that or change the mechanical setup of the machine. musch easier to keep it the way it is. I have done a few of these machines and always keep the home where it is.

just my opinion.

More
01 Sep 2019 19:49 #143808 by andypugh
Is the back left corner also the X0 Y0 point?
And is X10 Y10 to the front right of that?

If so, then the machine will make mirrored parts.

More
02 Sep 2019 02:44 #143847 by bevins

Is the back left corner also the X0 Y0 point?
And is X10 Y10 to the front right of that?

If so, then the machine will make mirrored parts.

Yes to all points.

More
02 Sep 2019 13:56 #143896 by andypugh
Well, I suggest _not_ setting it up that way if there is any intention to use standard CAM packages.

Homing back-and-left is OK, that just means configuring Y home as being at the maximum rather than minimum end.

More
02 Sep 2019 14:50 #143897 by bevins

Well, I suggest _not_ setting it up that way if there is any intention to use standard CAM packages.

Homing back-and-left is OK, that just means configuring Y home as being at the maximum rather than minimum end.

I run my large Biessse wood router that way with no issues and standard cam.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds