× Forum Header

Parallel Port Limit Switches

More
24 Jul 2019 20:39 #140470 by NewToRouting
I'm trying to setup my limit switches. I can't seem to find a tutorial explaining how to do this. I'm using a Parallel port. I found this link wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Homing_And_Limit_Switch . I think I need to use the Stepconf-Stepper Config Wizard Pins 10-15 but I have no idea where to start. I had this setup in Mach3 even tried importing settings from there without any luck.I can Jog the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2019 23:50 #140484 by BigJohnT
You might attach the Mach setup file as well as attempt to use the Stepconf wizard and enter the information about your machine.

JT

More
25 Jul 2019 01:05 #140489 by tommylight
Also pin 14 is an output, not an input.

More
25 Jul 2019 19:43 #140560 by NewToRouting
Thanks for such quick responses, this Forum is great. I did import my settings from Mach3. That helped with setting the outputs properly but not with my limit switches. After searching for a solution late into the night I decided this morning to go back and look over wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Homing_And_Limit_Switch What I came up with was setting( Pin10 Min Limit + Home X )( Pin 11 Min Limit + Home Y) invert both checked Pin 12&15 Unused( Pin 13 Min Limit + Home Z) invert checked. Parport Base 0xbc00. Initially Z was set on Pin12 but the Z axis didn't work so I set Z to Pin13 . I have a 6040Z CNC if that helps anyone.

More
28 Jul 2019 18:00 #140826 by andypugh
The Wiki does contain some useful information, but use it with caution. It is written by users and often not maintained, so some of the pages are very old and out of date.

The authoritative docs are here,
www.linuxcnc.org/documents/
Choose the correct link for your version.

I don't know of a specific limit-switch page in the docs, but there is useful info here
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-homing.html

More
07 Jul 2021 11:09 - 07 Jul 2021 11:10 #213960 by fernandosf
Years later, and for Googlers like me, I see the OP pain.
LinuxCNC Stepconf is a one-way-overwrite-everything option and while I see the value of it for beginners, the minute you need to do some config Stepconf cannot do, you need to forget it.

I wish Stepconf were a keep-my-config-and-modify-it-as-I-need option, but it's not there yet. As for Homing sensors, I guess the OP is missing the HAL config part. Today, LinuxCNC has evolved the documentation, although it is still kind of fragmented and from a internal perspective.  But HAL documentation is great these days, and even a newbie can understand it reading the docs.

Last edit: 07 Jul 2021 11:10 by fernandosf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Jul 2021 11:53 #213963 by BigJohnT

I wish Stepconf were a keep-my-config-and-modify-it-as-I-need option

I'm actually working on a Parallel Port Configuration Tool like my other tools they read the ini file and know if you changed a value.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: fernandosf

More
11 Jul 2021 23:15 #214341 by fernandosf
That's great BigJohnT,
I will try to find about your tools searching the forum, thanks.

More
12 Jul 2021 12:21 #214390 by BigJohnT
I'm just starting the parallel port tool.
gnipsel.com/mesa/index.html

JT

More
13 Jul 2021 21:18 #214647 by probamo
I just add issue I faced here not creating an other topic. The same computer used to run machine with Wheezy LCNC 2.7.15 and all worked well. Machine is gantry type, hence I wanted to upgrade to 2.8.2 which I did. Using previous setting in StepConf while it was in 2.7.15 - taken screenshots of parameters, I created new one though StepConf apps LCNC 2.8.2. Then started issue. All signals from pin10 (Estop in), pin11 (Probe in), pin12 (both limits+home x), pin13 (both limits+home y) and pin15 (both limiths+home z) are somehow ignored or blocking machine. pin10and pin11 are ignored, x,y,z home/limits block machine from moving. When I disable pins for x,y,z, machine can move with any velocity I want, but I cannot home it, nor I cannot rely on limit switches at all. In addition pin10 and pin11 are totally ignored, not functional for use. Then I used app/parport testers. No one input was triggered though I was changing swithers conditions.

Again all worked in 2.7.15 like a charm.
Any help i highly appreciated.
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds