× Forum Header

pico universal stepper stepconf wizard setup

More
21 Mar 2021 17:40 #203138 by dansawyer
Linuxcnc install 2.8.0 Stepconf wizard setup question.
The system is linuxcnc 2.8.0. The stepper breakout control board is Pico Universal stepper.
The Stepconf parallel port 1 screen setup shows 12 output pins, 1 through 9 and 14,16,17
I assume this is configiuring P2 on the Pico Universal Stepper board. The Pico P2 shows 12 pins: power, gnd, +5, gnd, s0, d0, s1, d1, s2, d2, s3, and d3
My questions are:
1. Using Stepconf wizard wher are the correct pinouts to map to the Pioo Universal stepper?
2. The parallel port can control 12 output pins. P2 only identifies 8 output pins. Are the other 4 available on the Pioc board? If s where?
3. If so, how can they be mapped?
My objective is to create a Stepconf wizard setup to map to the Pico board.
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2021 22:36 #203168 by cmorley
Unfortunately stepconf cannot configure for Pico.
You must set it up manually.

You could use stepconf to make a basic config, then modify the HAL files to suit Pico

More
22 Mar 2021 01:14 #203186 by dansawyer
Thank you. That was disapointing but helpful.
Is there a documented mapping between the parallel port 1 config screen pins 1 through 9, 14, 15, and 17 and P2 of the and the USC board?
(Or is this question totally out of context and there is no relationship between the pin syntax in the Stepconf Wizard and the syntax necessary to define the USC board to linuxcnc? If this is the case is there a pointer to the documentation for this syntax? )
I am using Gecko drivers and have wired the USC to match the Gecko from a sheet labled Gecko - USC Connection. I can identify about 8 to 10 pin descriptors in the HAL that appear to map linuxcnc to those drivers. Is is as simple as replacing those lines with the appropriate pin descriptors or is there significantly more to it.

More
22 Mar 2021 22:54 #203315 by andypugh
There are several PPMC demo configs supplied with LinuxCNC.
Pick one from the config picker and it will be copied to your config folder for inspection.
(in many cases simply editing the INI entries to suit your machine will get you close)

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds