× Forum Header

duel y motor setup help please

More
24 Aug 2021 07:48 - 24 Aug 2021 10:38 #218594 by cabeng
(All sorted , setting up the homing on all axis is key , my z was not configured )

Help please :) 
i have a very basic knowledge of all of this ( and a little slow, if you know what i mean ) 

i have just updated my linuxcnc to debian 10 and axis to 2.9 (Master i think ) , i would like to make use of gantry auto squaring so i setup each y stepper seperatly using y and tandem y pins , 
 im pretty confident i have wired all up correctly , (I disconected the motor couplings to test so all is safe ) when i jog the y axis ( down arrow on keyboard ) only the y motor runs , when i jog the z axis via keyboard the tandem y motor runs , if i jog y via the axix screen and mouse only the y motor runs , if i jog the z axix via the axis screen the z axis moves but only 0.001mm at a time ( edit , this is fixed now , i had my travel limit set incorrectly , now z jogs fine via mouse on axis)
can anyone off some advise please as to where i can look to solve this problem 

and then also to clarify , it seems when i make a change in stepconfig the ini and hal files seem to not be overwritten but rather a copy with a number prefix , is this normal ? , 2.8 used to just overwrite , its convenient now as mistakes are not lost but it can get messy , can i just delete the old files once im happy with any changes i may have made ?

ive attached my ini and hal file if you are able to take a look to help dignose my problem 
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Aug 2021 10:38 by cabeng. Reason: updated info problem solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2021 08:02 #218597 by phillc54
Jogging behaviour is different before and after homing. For tandem axes you should really have a HOME_SEQUENCE entry with a negative number to indicate the joints are synchronised, this will prevent jogging before homing for those joints. See the Homing section in the link.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-...t__lt_num_gt_section 

More
24 Aug 2021 08:04 #218598 by cabeng
great thank you , i will go take a read , hopefully my answer lies there :)

More
24 Aug 2021 09:16 #218600 by Clive S
The machine needs to be homed before the jogging works

This is an extract from my ini file

STEP_SCALE = -29 ( -ve number was used to reverse the motor direction instead of changing the motor connections)

# final home position macine-unit/sec
HOME = -20

# use this to square the gantry
HOME_OFFSET = 0.05 ( this sets the offset to square the gantry )

# machine-units per sec next 2 lines
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 50
HOME_LATCH_VEL = -2 (the -ve number is to make it back off the switch)
HOME_FINAL_VEL = 50

HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
HOME_SEQUENCE = -2 (this needs a -ve number the same in both tandem joints)

More
24 Aug 2021 09:58 #218604 by cabeng
excelent , thank you
so if i park my gantry in the middle of the table and power off , when i restart the next day i have to home all the way back before i can jog ?
i usally park at the far end , gives me a table to work on when im not using the router

More
24 Aug 2021 10:16 #218608 by Clive S

excelent , thank you
so if i park my gantry in the middle of the table and power off , when i restart the next day i have to home all the way back before i can jog ?
i usally park at the far end , gives me a table to work on when im not using the router

Yes but that takes seconds to do.

More
24 Aug 2021 10:37 #218611 by cabeng
i need to increase my homing speed , its a crawl at the moment :)

thank you very much , i have it all working now , setting up the homing was the key

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds