× Forum Header

Cannot return to zero after using stepconf to create two parallel ports

More
17 Mar 2022 03:16 #237516 by EdisonBin
Hey, guys
This is my first contact with Linux CNC. Some time ago, I prepared five stepper motors, drivers and sensors.
I used stepconf to configure a parallel port. After clicking the actuator, I can control five motors and return to zero, which is very exciting!
So I decided to add a stepping motor, driver and sensor. Make it the prototype of a 6-axis robot! That sounds simple, doesn't it!
Because my 'Mach3 interface board' only supports 5 axes at most, I use two interface boards, one of which is used to output stepping motors with 6 axes, and the other interface board accepts six sensors.
When I configure it Hal and INI file, open the desktop starter, and I can control the rotation of six axis motors separately!! That's cool! However, after I click the return to zero button, the motor starts to rotate. No matter how I block my sensor, it seems that the system cannot accept my sensor input.
I can't find out what went wrong. Is that the address of my parallel board? Or the line? Or a profile?
I will provide my wiring diagram and Hal and INI file.
If you can get some ideas or help me solve it, thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2022 15:05 #237532 by tommylight
Sensors are wired wrong, they must be wired to inputs, or that parallel port must be set to mode "inpout" or "in" in hal loadrt string, but it will still not work with a bob.
The sensors must be wired to pins 10,11,12,13 and 15, those are the only inputs that work when using a BOB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EdisonBin

More
17 Mar 2022 20:49 - 17 Mar 2022 20:50 #237562 by Todd Zuercher
It depends on your BOB. Some better made BOBs can be used with Linuxcnc's "in" mode. for example CNC4PC's C-10 board.
www.cnc4pc.com/c10-bi-directional-parall...-interface-card.html

If you are using the same chepo 5-axis "Mach3" BOB on both ports, the one you have configured as "in" won't work. Those boards only work with "out" mode therefore can only use inputs 10,11,12,13, and 15. Like Tommy said.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2022 20:50 by Todd Zuercher. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, EdisonBin

More
17 Mar 2022 22:05 #237573 by tommylight
Frankly, i never use BOB's, i just gave away all i had for free. To much hassle and no use, the properly isolated ones are to slow for anything useful, and the fast ones use buffers with no isolation at all.
I have several Mesa 7i92 running plasma machines wired directly, never had a single issue with them. Same with parallel ports, 3 machines, 1 in use for over 6 years, no issues ever.
But i refrain from advising the use of Mesa 7i92 without a BOB due to price and the risk of any miss wiring ending up in tears.

More
18 Mar 2022 02:58 #237602 by EdisonBin
Thank Tom and Todd very much for their answers, because I happen to have two identical "Mach3" Bob, so I use it on the principle of no waste.I immediately tried your suggestion.Connect the five sensors of xyzab to Bob 1. Xyzab corresponds to the inputs 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 of Bob. Connect sensor C to input 10 of Bob 2.When I open the starter and click the reset all button, xyzab sensor has input! However, the C sensor of Bob 2 did not respond no matter how I blocked it, and the motor kept rotating.Do I choose the wrong parport? Because I just came into contact with linuxcnc, I still don't know how to check parport. Because the computer seller said it was the parport of 0 and 1, I set it directly to 0 and 1.Or my wiring or Hal or Ini setting error?I feel very close to success! Come on, thank you for your answers!
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2022 03:01 #237604 by EdisonBin
Thank you very much, Tommy. But I have another problem. I put the detailed problem under the post. I look forward to your help and answer. Thank you!

More
18 Mar 2022 03:04 #237605 by EdisonBin
Thank you, Todd. I'm half done in your way! Lol ~ but I have another problem. I put the problem under the post and look forward to your answer and help. Thank you very much

More
18 Mar 2022 03:21 #237606 by tommylight
- to be sure the second port is working, does anything connected to it work ? Outputs, LED on the BOB, anything?
-if they do not work, check the address for that port, check if both addresses are included in the loadrt line in .hal.
- measure the voltage on the input pins on the port that is not working with a DVM, they must be 3.3V or 5V when LinuxCNC is running.
Some add on boards do not have pull up resistors.

More
18 Mar 2022 03:34 #237607 by EdisonBin
Thank you, Tommy. Your first sentence reminded me.
I connected the pulse and direction of x-axis motor to Bob 2. Then I modified my Hal. Sure enough, I couldn't control the movement of X motor. I guess the address of No. 2 Bob port is wrong.
Excuse me, Tommy, what command should I use to check Bob's address?

More
18 Mar 2022 03:40 #237609 by tommylight
sudo dmesg|grep parport
sudo lspci -v|grep parport
sudo cat /proc/ioports|grep parport

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds