× Forum Header

Only 1 axis responds after initial setup

More
10 Oct 2010 04:17 - 10 Oct 2010 04:21 #4602 by Razorbackhog
Hi everyone! I am new to CNC, EMC2, and fairly new to Linux.

My Y-axis responds (not completely sure correctly yet), but my X and Z-axis do not even energize the motors, let alone move them.

I am using the following components:
Controller – TB6560 3-axis and spindle (not using spindle)
Motors – Vexta PK266-2a. 1.8 degree or 200 step. 6 wire (only 4 used; black A+, yellow A-, red B+, white B-, blue and green not used).
Power supply – 115v AC input, 24v DC 6.5a output.

When I wired it up and first energized the system, there were 3 lights on the controller board, when going through the step config one light went out. I originally did not know what to put in the parallel port settings that corresponded with the “X-axis enable” that was in the step config. I found a post that stated you needed to substitute “amplifier enable” and tried that. The Y-axis then responded after that, but the X and Z did not. There are still two LEDs lit on the board.

I am guessing the issue is either:
the parallel port settings in the step config
motor wiring (not likely since Y responds)
wiring (possible that there is a loose connection somewhere in both X and Z)

Can I randomly change the parallel port settings without causing damage to the controller or motors?

I have attached a composite photo of the step config windows and the documentation that came with the controller.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 04:21 by Razorbackhog. Reason: Attach TB6560 controller board manufacturers docs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2010 16:22 #4607 by cmorley
You need to do a lot more explaining before anyone will/can help you.
What have you tried to troubleshoot it your self?
What is different between the axis that works and the one that doesn't.

More
12 Oct 2010 02:46 #4632 by Razorbackhog
When I initially did the step config nothing responded, but I was expecting that to be the case as the X-enable was not a setting on EMC2 step config (this enable feature also applied to the Y and Z axis). So, I seached some more and found a posting that said to choose the amplifier enable in place of an axis enable. I did that and only the Y responded. All axis are configured the same. But, when you look at the pin out on the parallel port, it is not logically laid out like most I have seen and makes me wonder. What I don't know is if I decide to systematically attempt to figure out the pin settings to see if that is the problem, do I risk damaging the controller or the motors?

More
12 Oct 2010 11:52 #4635 by BigJohnT
It appears that you have a parallel cable plug on your driver, so you have to match the parallel port pins to the pinout provided by the driver board manufacturer.

John

More
12 Oct 2010 13:09 #4638 by Razorbackhog
That is a true statement. Parallel cable hookup from computer to controller. The configuration that I am using is the pinout provided by the driver board manufacturer, but I am not getting a response from the X or Z axis motors. Being new to this, I am reluctant to just go blundering around for fear of burning out the controller or motors. I am thinking of swapping the motors connectors around since I know that the Y is moving, move it to the X or Z to see if it responds. Then that would narrow down that the pinout is correct, but the motor or wiring is not.

On a 6 wire motor (2 phase 2amp), is it common to not to use 2 of the wires?

I also looked around on eBay last night at the listings fro the 3-axis TB6560 board and noticed that one guy advertises to buy from him because he provides a full solution. In that solution I noticed he has a home/limit switch cable included. Mine does not. What does it take to put a home and/or limit switch on you machine? Does that require adding equipment? Or just a software solution?

More
12 Oct 2010 18:02 - 12 Oct 2010 18:04 #4646 by BigJohnT
Home and Limit Switches can be input to a parallel port or other hardware like PCI cards. Since you have one tied up with your drive if you have an extra PCI slot you can get a second parallel port card for that which is the least expensive way to go.

Just looking back at your photo of your card and I see you have inputs on it so you should be able to use them.

There is some info on steppers on the wiki site, you might cruse over there and take a look.

John
Last edit: 12 Oct 2010 18:04 by BigJohnT.

More
12 Oct 2010 18:22 #4649 by Razorbackhog
Thanks John, I will take a look at that. I have an open PCM/CIA and will look into doing that.

Has anyone tried using a USB-to-Parallel cable? Will it faithfully reproduce the pinouts or does EMC2 and MACH 3 have issues with those cables?

Paul

More
12 Oct 2010 19:16 #4651 by PCW
USB-parallel adapters will not work well for driving step motors for a couple of reasons:

1. USB is fairly high latency, mS of latency when uS latencies are needed

2. I don't think there is a working real time USB driver for EMC

More
13 Oct 2010 22:29 #4664 by Razorbackhog
I tried swapping the Y and the Z axis output cables from the controller to the motors, when I did the Z axis motor worked just like the Y did on the Y-axis connector. When I energized the X and Z axis via the test feature on step config, I could hear the Y axis motor emit a high pitch electronic sound (not like it was physically trying to turn). Initially when I powered up the controller after swapping the Y and Z axis cables, one of the 'three axis work LED' (see original post with controller board photo) lights was on and went off after I used the test feature in step config.

I am thinking since the light was lit on the first LED indicator and the Y-axis moved, that I might have the Y-axis cable hooked to the X-axis connector. But, that still doesn't fix the other two axis'.

Even more so I think that my Chinese pinout documentation is wrong for this controller board.

Paul

More
14 Oct 2010 03:58 #4670 by Razorbackhog
I have been searching for different pinout configurations and even tried a couple, but no luck so far. I did get the LEDs to blink and even go solid, but no motor movement.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds