× Forum Header

Only 1 axis responds after initial setup

• urslee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2010 09:09 #4718 by urslee
Replied by urslee on topic Re:Only 1 axis responds after initial setup
Hi

I have a similar Board but with 4 Axis and I've had the same Problem at the beginning.
But as always I took a look at the Stepconf generated files and saw the .hal is wrong.
On the lines for Pin configurations, it should be xenable for x, yenable for y and so on,
but there was xenable for all axis enable Pins.

Maybe this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2010 15:06 #4721 by dab77
same happened to me with 2.4.3. had to change y and z enable into .hal file.

More
17 Oct 2010 15:51 #4722 by BigJohnT
I just checked 2.4.5 and Stepconf Wizard outputs a correct hal file. Might have been a bug with older versions.

John

More
18 Oct 2010 03:02 #4731 by Razorbackhog
Ok, I managed to get all 3 motors to turn in one form or fashion. Synopsis follows:

I traced the circuits on the controller board manually and determined which were grouped with what axis. I then put all 6 of the possible combinations of Step, Direction, and Amplifier Enable in to see the response. In this way I determined what combination made the motors turn.

Xand Z-axis respond the same way:
- LED is not brightly lit and I have seen them lit to full brightness.
- Motor moves smootly the prescribed distance in step config test, but in only one direction. It will turn and then pause, and then turn the same distance in the same direction and continue to do so until I stop the test.
- Motor pauses for the same amount of time that it takes for it to travel the test distance. When Y was working properly, it would turn one direction for the distance and then turn the other direction for the distance until stopped.
- Jog left turns the motor counter clockwise, but Jog right does not elicit a response.

Y-axis:
- LED is the same as X and Z
- Motor turns both directions for the prescribed test distance in step config. But, it randomly chooses whether it goes clockwise or counter clockwise.
- Motor does a little twitch vibration before going the distance and does not sound like it is running like it did previously.
- Jog L or R will randomly give you clockwise or counter clockwise

I took some screen shots of the latest config if anyone thinks they might shed some light. I can also post some video of the motors and setup if anyone thinks that might help. The only difference on the step config I have done differently than what my directions stated, is that the Direction and Amplifier Enable on both the X and Z axis are now reversed (each one within itself, i.e. X-Direction is now swapped with X-Amp Enable, and same for Z).

I am doing this so far on a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop by the way. I can't imagine the laptop causing any of these issues, but I know that later one it could cause some delays and other issues according to some of the posts I have read.

More
18 Oct 2010 09:01 #4735 by andypugh
Razorbackhog wrote:

I traced the circuits on the controller board manually and determined which were grouped with what axis

Did you work out which pin on the driver ICs each one went to? That should tell you definitively which is step, which is direction and which is enable.

Motor moves smootly the prescribed distance in step config test, but in only one direction. It will turn and then pause, and then turn the same distance in the same direction and continue to do so until I stop the test.

That sounds like direction and enable are switched.

- Motor turns both directions for the prescribed test distance in step config. But, it randomly chooses whether it goes clockwise or counter clockwise.

That sounds like the motor is wired wrongly. You can get that behaviour if the motor is only running on one phase.

More
19 Oct 2010 17:28 #4749 by Razorbackhog
I am going to try and trace them tonight with the multimeter. I couldn't follow it visually.

I tried swapping the direction and enable and the motor sounds like it wants to move, but it doesn't produce any movement.

The motor on the Y was moving smoothly both direction, but now is not. I wondered if I damaged it somehow during this testing which included disconnecting the motors from the board powered down.

More
19 Oct 2010 18:13 #4751 by andypugh
Razorbackhog wrote:

The motor on the Y was moving smoothly both direction, but now is not. I wondered if I damaged it somehow during this testing which included disconnecting the motors from the board powered down.

It's possible. You can easily kill those driver ICs by cross-connecting the motor, eg one end of a motor phase A winding to a Phase A output, and the other end of the same phase A winding to a phase B output.

More
02 Nov 2010 22:58 #5047 by andypugh
Any update on this?

More
04 Nov 2010 19:07 #5082 by Razorbackhog
I had oral surgery (bone grafting for implants) putting me behind in other work. So, no significant progress.

I spent some time trying to trace the circuits visually through the printed circuits in the card and with a multimeter. I have been using the ohms setting, would that be the best way or is there another setting I should use. It seems to work ok that way. Is there a way to determine where physically on a component the input will result in an output? I am at a loss on that. When I trace to an electrical component on the board, I don't know where to pickup on the "other side." I have noted that I seem to get 3 different readings from the multimeter on these 1) no connection 2) low ohm reading 3) 000.0 (which is what I get with a known connection, i.e. the two multimeter probes or a short piece of wire).

What is the best methodology to trace a circuit on one of these boards?

I would really like to work out the issues so I can begin to use the machine.

More
04 Nov 2010 19:45 #5084 by andypugh
Razorbackhog wrote:

I have been using the ohms setting, would that be the best way or is there another setting I should use.

Is there a continuity setting that beeps when there is continuity? That's generally the easiest to use. Otherwise Ohms is the one.
Don't try to measure through any components, just trace the tracks. from connector to component to component.

Eliminate all the pins on the optos with continuity to 0v and 5v first, perhaps.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds