× Forum Header

Test this axis

More
26 Oct 2010 14:54 #4878 by bertora
Test this axis was created by bertora
I just configured my system (stepper motors, Toshiba TB6560 driver) using the stepconf wizard. Everything went more or less smoothly and I now have an operating system.

The only nuisance is that the "test this axis" window does not work, meaning that it comes up regularly but no motion can be obtained, neither with the jog or the run buttons. On "cancel" it is clearly felt that current is cut to the stepper that moves maybe a step. The strange part is that everything runs normally in Axis. Any hint to this behaviour?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2010 15:11 #4879 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Test this axis
Is everything completely normal in Axis (ie do the correct axes move, in the right directions?)

I could imagine a scenario where the amp-enable wires were crossed. When you start Axis all the amp-enable pins come on together, but the test window probably only activates one. However, if the motor is being turned on, then it isn't that.

A motor which moves a single step is often due to the direction pin being connected to the pulse input.

Do you have other motors connected when running "test axis"? If so, do any of those move?

More
27 Oct 2010 12:42 #4898 by bertora
Replied by bertora on topic Re:Test this axis
1- in Axis everything looks perfectly normal
2- yes all three motors are connected and they do what they are meant to, meaning that what I configured as x in stepconf is really x in axis and so on and no changes in wiring were ever made going from stepconf to axis and viceversa.

Still scratching my head.

More
27 Oct 2010 13:56 #4902 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Test this axis
Test this Axis will only emit step and direction. If your driver requires a charge pump or enable bit it will not work unless you supply the enable externally AFAIK.

John

More
27 Oct 2010 16:04 #4905 by bertora
Alas this is not the case: the only connections I have to the driver are:

emergency stop out on pin 1
dir and step for 3 axes on pins 2 to 7
spindle on on pin 8
unused on 9
home x,y,z on 10 to 12
emergency stop in on pin 13

Needless to say that I tried inverting the home and the emergency inputs with the only result of causing malfunctions in Axis.

More
27 Oct 2010 17:02 - 27 Oct 2010 17:42 #4907 by BigJohnT
What version of EMC are you running and what operating system is it on?

Also, Ubuntu with some displays has an issue with the mouse and you have to move the pointer off of a button and back on in some cases.

Also, did you force your e-stop to enable your drive, test this axis will not change that.

John
Last edit: 27 Oct 2010 17:42 by BigJohnT.

More
28 Oct 2010 19:14 #4942 by bertora
The MC2 version is 2.4.5 and the system is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.32 as it came on the live ISO CD and the subsequent updates.

Out of curiosity I tried exchanging step and dir before running "Test this axis" but it remained as dead as ever. I did not try this configuration on axis but after reverting to the correct one, concluding the remaining steps in stepconf it went on beautifully as always.

BTW I tried tonight the "calibration" button in the machine menu of axis and it did nothing. Although the documentation is not too clear it seems to imply that this refers to PID servos and not to steppers. Am I correct?

One of the next days I will hook a real scope to the parallel port outputs to see what is happening, then I will tell you. (BTW #2 - is there a way of launching halscope independently of axis? Every time I tried without an instance of axis open I got an error)

Thanks again for the help

Franco

More
28 Oct 2010 19:55 - 28 Oct 2010 20:02 #4946 by BigJohnT
Did you "turn on" your drive enable outside of stepconf? Reading back I see you have an E-Stop out pin does that go to the driver board? Stepconf will not turn on the enable pin or any other pins other than the step and direction pins for that axis. There is some talk about adding that feature to 2.5... We have to be missing something simple, I've used it in the past but I don't have anything connected to a parallel port anymore to test it out with.

Halscope info here

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_tutor...orial%20-%20Halscope

The Calibration window was for servos as the title of the window suggests, however it can be used to test different settings for a stepper setup as well.

John
Last edit: 28 Oct 2010 20:02 by BigJohnT.

More
28 Oct 2010 20:34 #4949 by bertora
Congratulations!

You hit the right spot. I was indeed the "emergency stop out". As soon as I negated it in stepconf test axis started working. Of course I had to set it back to the original status before saving the configuration, otherwise axis would not have worked: a bit confusing, but now at least everything is clear.

Thanks again for the support

Franco

More
29 Oct 2010 14:34 #4964 by BigJohnT
Glad you got it going.

John

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds