× Forum Header

Leadscrew pitch calibration

More
22 Apr 2024 23:25 #298874 by Dave2024
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of a tool or utility that makes calibrating and tunning the leadscrew pitch value easier?  At the moment I’m having to switch back and forth between the LinuxCNC gui and StepConf running gcode to move the axis then with a set of calipers measure and write down the value then calculate the difference between original and new value till its spot on.  I’m able to move the axis precisely one inch running say G1 X1 but its tedious doing this because it takes a few attempts for each axis.  I know other control software’s like Mach3 have a calibration feature built in where you tell the axis to move a specified distance then you enter the value that it actually moved and it does calculation and after doing it a couple times your tuned and spot on accurate.  Anyways if anyone knows of what I’m trying to do any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2024 23:51 #298876 by tommylight
-start LinuxCNC
-home the machine or just the joint/axis you want to calibrate
-on the "machine" menu click on "calibration"
-select the joint you want to calibrate
-note the "scale" value, this is what you edit/change
-click on "test"
-on main screen MDI to G0 X1 or whatever value you can test with
-when you get close, test as far as possible for that axis/joint
-when you get it correctly, click on OK, save to file
-
All that is never required, leadscrews have standard pitches, so no guessing, the only time it is possible to miss is when using 1/4" screws as those can be easily mistaken for 5mm metric ones, imperial being 5.08mm.

More
23 Apr 2024 00:46 #298879 by Dave2024
Ok fantastic this is working perfect. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds