× Forum Header

Taig Lathe conversion to LinuxCNC: M3 is not turning on spindle

More
26 Jul 2024 13:33 #306089 by Cerezas
I am moving away from Mach3 (yay!) and created a StepConfig from the Mach3 XML file. I had to tweak some settings, but in the end the X and Z axis are moving properly. On the pin configuration I had to add the ESTOP OUT pin, which is working now. However, M3 is not turning on the spindle. With a scope and while using Mach3 I figured out that the spindle turns on when pin 16 goes HIGH. The spindle doesn't use PWM, it's just single speed. So, in the parallel port pin setup I tried Spindle ON, Spindle CW and Spindle CCW for  pin 16, but nothing happens when I issue M3 on the MDI or when I run a simple GCode program. On the scope, I don't  see the pin change logic level when I issue an M3 command. I also tried to set Mist Coolant on the pin but M7 doesn't do anything either.

The parallel port is set in OUT mode. As far as I understand, that makes pin 16 an output from the PC to the lathe. I have 3 parallel ports on the PC and I tried them all with the same result, thinking that maybe pin 16 was unresponsive on the first port.

I'm on LinuxCNC 2.9 and I am attaching my HAL file if that helps. 

File Attachment:

File Name: taig_lathe.hal
File Size:2 KB

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2024 13:55 #306091 by Aciera
Your 'spindle-on' signal is not connected to anything:
net spindle-on      => parport.0.pin-16-out

Try:
net spindle-on     <=  spindle.0.on  => parport.0.pin-16-out

More
26 Jul 2024 14:01 - 26 Jul 2024 14:02 #306093 by Aciera
As for 'M7' add this to your hal:
net m7-command <= halui.mist.is-on => parport.0.pin-<your_pin_number_here>-out
Last edit: 26 Jul 2024 14:02 by Aciera.

More
27 Jul 2024 12:31 #306170 by Cerezas
Thank you Aciera!! M3 is working now with the HAL line you suggested.

Is this something that could have been done from StepConfig? Or do I have to edit the hal file manually?

Thanks again for your very prompt help.

More
27 Jul 2024 13:53 #306176 by Aciera

Is this something that could have been done from StepConfig? Or do I have to edit the hal file manually?

I'm not sure but I guess you did not configure a spindle in StepConf hence your hal file has no spindle entries at all.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds