× Forum Header

EMC2 KELING 4030 & c10 bob

More
31 Jan 2011 02:53 #6884 by NINJA
IM NEW TO ALL THIS SO PLEASE EXCUSE THE IGNORANCE

Ive been through the steppermill config wizard and have run test on x,y,z, axis all axis work well, but when i go into emc2 i am unable to get it to work and can not figure out how to move the machine manualy, i know i'm

missing some other setup con figures , what is the tool edit table used for, what is the hall config , so many more , but Ill start with these first , basicaly im asking for step by step config for my 3 axis keling 4030 and a c10

bob set up so that I can get this machine to work , i have used mach 3 but i would like to use the emc2

PLEASE HELP

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2011 03:35 #6885 by Kirk_Wallace
I tend to think of the config wizzards as something that can get you going, especially if you have a fairly "standard" machine, but you should expect to need to go in and edit the config files by hand.

You'll need to know this stuff:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Linux_FAQ.html

When you have gone through the above, the configuration files are under your home directory, /home/my_home/emc2/configs/my_machine/... The base file is the .ini file, my_machine.ini. If you study this file (using gedit), you can see that it calls the other files that are needed, usually one or more .hal files, a tool table, one or two files that save session information (so EMC2 can use the same settings between power off) and a few others.

Setting up a pendant is not really beginner's stuff, so you'll need to be patient. Look on this wiki page for pendants, wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl .

In the mean time you should be able to jog with the arrow keys for X and Y, page up/down controls Z. In AXIS, click on Help, then Quick Reference to see the key assignments.

The tool table holds the tool information for cutter length and radius compensation:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode_tool_compensation.html

The .hal file contains the software pin and signal connections. You will need to make the signal connections between EMC2 and your pendant there. You might want to practice with more basic features first, such as lighting up an LED from a parallel port pin, or sensing a switch on an input pin, then move up in complexity.

There is a ton of configuring that you can do, which you may not be used to with Mach 3, but there is a lot of power that comes with EMC2 if you want to take advantage of it. Good luck, ask questions.
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
California, USA

More
31 Jan 2011 11:20 #6894 by Rick G
Take a look here..
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_User_Manual.pdf
Try section 4.2 getting started

Rick G

More
31 Jan 2011 13:03 #6896 by andypugh
NINJA wrote:

Ive been through the steppermill config wizard and have run test on x,y,z, axis all axis work well, but when i go into emc2 i am unable to get it to work and can not figure out how to move the machine manualy,

You need to take EMC2 out of E-stop and turn it on (press F1 then F2, or click the top left button in Axis, and then the one next to it.

If you have already done this, then it might be an issue with the amp-enable lines,

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds