× Forum Header

can't get z-axis to work

More
16 Aug 2009 21:05 #709 by duncan9
I have a 3 axis stepper kit from Probotix . I used the config wizard and enabled the pins x,y, and z but the z axis stepper does not turn at all .The x and y axis steon what to doppers work great . I need some help I am new to this whole thing . I have the machine all built but this software part has me scratching my head on to do .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2009 23:14 #710 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:can't get z-axis to work
First things to do is figure out if the signals are sent out from the parport and/or see if the step drive otherwise works
Does the pin you designated for z actually make pulses? a multimeter or an LED could tell you that.
Does the z drive work if you connect it to the x or y pulse pins?
You say the z axis motor does not turn, but does it try?
The Z axis often has more problems because it is harder to move.
Maybe the motor/drive does not have enough power for the speed / torque you want.

More
17 Aug 2009 00:47 #711 by duncan9
Replied by duncan9 on topic Re:can't get z-axis to work
Hi
I forgot to mention that all 3 axis work fine if I use Mach 3 as the controller software .

More
17 Aug 2009 01:43 #713 by BMG
Replied by BMG on topic Re:can't get z-axis to work
In the wizard, are you able to "test" the Z axis? Make sure you start with low numbers and work upwards.

How heavy is the Z axis also? How large or small were the settings you used in Mach to get the Z working?

More
19 Aug 2009 02:03 #723 by duncan9
The z-axis stepper is not connected to the lead screw yet . When I test the z axis stepper it loses the holding torque and is not energized at all .

More
19 Aug 2009 02:13 - 19 Aug 2009 02:16 #724 by BMG
Replied by BMG on topic Re:can't get z-axis to work
So when you start EMC, the stepper is holding? Then when you test the axis, it loses torque?

Recheck your stepper wiring to make sure all are correctly wired.

Are the step and Direction pins for the Z axis set up the same as the X and Y axes?

Once you have checked the above and assuming same results, try inverting the step and direction pins in the pin setup menu.

If still same results, do as Chris Morley suggested and swap the Z stepper with either the X or Y axis connections. That will tell you if you have a bad motor (its possible).

Good luck.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 02:16 by BMG.

More
19 Aug 2009 03:51 #725 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:can't get z-axis to work
If all axis work with Mach, and the only thing you change is the software ( to EMC ) then it sounds like
you may have configured the parport pins wrong. Confirm that the parport is configured properly in stepconf for the z axis
and confirm the signals are actually getting to the physical parallel port pins that are connected to the z axis drive.

More
22 Aug 2009 20:26 #743 by duncan9
Hi All
I have the z-axis working now .I had to enable pins 3 ,5 and 7 x,y and dirc. and pins 14,16 and 17 amp. enable . When I do this I can not test the y and z axis but the steppers will function right when using EMC 2 . I hope this is alright and does not burn out the system ?
Thank you for you help

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds