× Forum Header

BROKEN PIPE REPOON SETUP WHEN TRYING TO JOG MOTORS

More
09 Mar 2011 19:20 #7672 by naps
Greetings all

Can anyone help me.

I am new to Linux and CNC and the only programming I have done was in GWBasic on a ZX81 back in 1982.

I am trying to set up 4-wire 200 stepper motors on StepConf via Gecko 203V drives and a Mach3 breakout board on a dedicated HDD containing only LinuxEMC 10.4.

I get a 'broken pipe" report on trying to jog the motor in its test routine.

Does that mean the program cannot see the ports or does it mean there is a programming error in StepConf?

The motors work in DOS on Turbocnc on a different HDD.

I have given up trying to use Mach3 on XP as it cannot seem to find/hang onto the ports even with its port grabber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 01:24 #7673 by cmorley
A broken pipe usually means there was a problem with stepconf talking to HAL.
If you run stepconf from a terminal then you will see a more detailed error message.
Are you using a real time kernel?
Can you run an EMC sample config with no errors?
How did you get EMC on the hard drive? live CD?

More
10 Mar 2011 05:21 #7674 by naps
Hi - thanks for the response.

I downloaded the 10.04 live CD off this home page and installed it on a formatted HDD.
I dont know anything about real time kernels - in my part of the world we just salute them ;)
When I get back to my radio shack after work I will try and run a sample config.

Is it imperative to install a video card? I am running off the motherboard's video unit.

I am still waiting for Vodacom to tell me how to install the Huawei E220 modem to run on Linux so I am offline on that PC as regards updates etc. I cannot seem to find any solution that works for an E220 from what I can see on Google.

More
10 Mar 2011 08:05 #7677 by Rick G
Hello,

Did you run the latency test and for how long?
What port and address are you using?
Is the parallel port with the correct address listed when you enter
lspci -v
from a terminal?

Rick G

More
10 Mar 2011 12:45 #7679 by andypugh
naps wrote:

the only programming I have done was in GWBasic on a ZX81 back in 1982.

Completely unhelpful pedantry, but the ZX81 didn't use GWBasic, it used Sinclair BASIC.
It would probably make a decent CNC platform, it was certainly realtime, otherwise the screen display could never have worked.

More
10 Mar 2011 12:48 #7680 by andypugh
naps wrote:

I dont know anything about real time kernels - in my part of the world we just salute them ;)

If you type "uname -r "at the command prompt you should see "rtai" as part of the kernel name. If you don't then it might be that your installation has failed to switch to the new kernel. If that is the case, get back to us.

Is it imperative to install a video card? I am running off the motherboard's video unit.

No, many machines (including both of mine) run perfectly well with onboard video.

More
11 Mar 2011 01:48 #7708 by cmorley
running stepconf from a terminal would be most helpful.
look under applications/accessories menu for "Terminal'

type stepconf and load/build your config as normal.
When you try testing again if you get an error look at the terminal screen.
I surely tell you more about the error.

More
11 Mar 2011 19:39 #7734 by naps
Many thanks for your inputs Gentlemen.

I tried to run from the terminal the latency test, the parrallel port check, the uname-r as advised by the respondents but system returned "command not found" prompts so I figured the installation did not install properly.

I formatted another older technology 40 Gig Seagate HDD and reinstalled from USB DVDD with the HDD jumpered to cable select and got a fully functional system install.

The motors run perfectly.

Confidence restored.

Thank you

More
11 Mar 2011 19:58 #7735 by andypugh
naps wrote:

the uname-r as advised by the respondents but system returned "command not found" prompts

That should always work, as it is a core Linux command. However it is uname [space] -r

More
23 Feb 2013 06:36 #30465 by keithcat
I had exactly the same problem with version 10. Assuming it was a problem with parallel port access privileges I tried to make my username the owner. that didn't work either. I finally gave up trying to ferret out what was wrong with the broken pipe and downloaded version 8, Hardy Heron. It worked first time. Even in the live instantion (prior to installation). Have you tried this?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds