× Forum Header

Help with new EMC2 config and 3 axis router.

More
12 Sep 2009 11:34 #823 by NeilR
Ill check in the morning. I think they did obey ok. Does my Z axis travel setting sound about right?
I was expecting a terse response from you for waisting your time. Thanks for not doing it. Its embarrassing enough :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2009 11:52 - 12 Sep 2009 11:53 #824 by BigJohnT
There is a lot of information to absorb when starting up a CNC the first time. Many things can get overlooked in the flood. That's a smart move to have your motors uncoupled until you think you have everything worked out.

Are you using home switches?

For Z in my experiance the top of the material is Z0 and all the machining is done in a negative Z area. The limits I don't think make a difference if you go 0 to 120 or -20 to 100 unless you have a home switch and you want to call Z0 as the home position. Anyway when you touch off your tool on the material top you "shift" your machine coordinates so to speak. Once you have done that the DRO will show that you can go past your "shifted" limit but will not let you actually go past your real limits. Does this babble make sense? It is early in the morning here... anyway issue a G92.1 in the MDI command window and that will clear any offsets.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//gcode_mai...ub:G92,-G92.1,-G92.2,

John
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 11:53 by BigJohnT.

More
12 Sep 2009 12:06 - 12 Sep 2009 12:09 #825 by BigJohnT
Also, from the Machine menu look at Show EMC Status and look at the actual position compared to the DRO position. Then do a G54 in the MDI window not a G92.1... need more coffee.

and it ain't working for me this morning.

John
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 12:09 by BigJohnT.

More
12 Sep 2009 13:04 #826 by BigJohnT
Ok, I got it now. If you did a tool touch off of Z in G54 to clear that and make the dro read the actual do a G10 L2 P1 X0 in the MDI command window. I had to go out to the shop to see what I do on my plasma but it didn't help... so I searched the manuals till I found it :)

John

More
12 Sep 2009 14:02 #827 by BMG
NeilR wrote:

I was expecting a terse response from you for waisting your time. Thanks for not doing it. Its embarrassing enough :(

Bah...

We pop in here to help, not to dish out criticism. Absolutely no apologies required. As to your flipped step/dir settings on the pins, I made the same mistake when I set my router up.

Keep plugging away. we get your cutting soon.

Brian

More
12 Sep 2009 20:18 #830 by NeilR
Thanks guys.
I guess after using the windoz environment, I blindly expected that after selecting a known driver config in emc it would not only have entered the correct timings but also configured the pins correctly.
Ill try the Z stuff just as soon as I wake up enough to battle the wet/windy weather and make my way to the workshop.

More
18 Sep 2009 10:33 #841 by NeilR
Im going to stop the config at this point until my flange bearings arrive. This will mean I can get all axis moving and the final config sorted.
Ill be back with more questions then no doubt :)

Tell me, do you know of any open source development being done in Vcarving? there seems to be only 1 commercial application/vendor available which surprises me greatly. I think this would be an excellent candidate for open source. What do you think?
Neil

More
20 Sep 2009 13:06 #845 by BMG
Dan Falck and others are working on several open source CAM routines. You might drop into the #CAM IRC channel on Freenode.org

THey would know of any current pursuits in this arena.

More
10 Oct 2009 10:07 #936 by NeilR
Bearings arrived and installed. All running sweetly. Thanks again for your help with this issue guys. I have some other questions but will start a new post for that.

Regards
Neil

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds