× Forum Header

Setting up an RS Components 8-wire Stepper

More
25 Mar 2011 21:59 #8090 by naps
Greetings All

I am new to Linux CNC and am struggling to configure the above motor, part no 340-3749, to run on a small mill with Gecko 203V drives. The other two axes work well with junkyard motors but this motor, wired in series 1 1' 2' 2 and 3 3' 4' 4 will not run at slow speed. It slips, stalls and switches to reverse sometimes at a jog stop.

Other coil permutations fail to yield results.

Can anyone help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2011 23:57 #8093 by andypugh
I had similar problems with some steppers I bought, the colour codes did not match the docs so one phase-pair was back to back, so that they cancelled each other out.

You have to hope that the pole-pairs are right, though.

It is helpful to have a current-limited power supply, but you can make some useful deductions just by touching wires together and trying to turn the motor by hand.

First find the ends of each winding, and make a note. If you touch two wires together and the motor gets harder to turn, then they are a pair. If there is no change, then they are not a pair.

Next find out which are the + and - ends of each winding. If you put + to + and - to - on two windings from the same phase then the motor will turn freely, if you put + to - and - to + then the motor will get stiff (about twice as stiff as the earlier test). + and - is entirely nominal, all that happens if you guess wrong is that the motor spins the wrong way, and that can be fixed in software. Label the wires.

You will need to trust the docs as to which sets of windings make up a phase.

You then need to decide how you want to wire the motor. Are your drives unipolar or bipolar? Do you want torque or speed?

Unipolar (6-wire) and bipolar-series (4 -wire) (higher torque for the same current, lower speed for the same voltage) you need to permanently link one + and one - of each phase pair together. That become "common" on a unipolar drive, or should be joined, insulated and tucked away for bipolar drive. For bipolar parallel drive join + to + and - to - for each phase. With either bipolar setup the 4 ends are A+ and A- of one phase, and B+ and B- of the other.

More
26 Mar 2011 10:51 #8100 by naps
Many thanks for your input.

While trying out your suggestions I detected that one of the phase connections at the drive was not making contact.

The poor motor was trying its best to work on one phase.

Problem fixed thanks.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds