× Forum Header

noob settings questions

More
21 May 2011 13:04 #9968 by ppope357
Hi
I have recently installed emc2 and need some help getting things configured. I am a noob to emc2, as well as diy cnc. I have installed emc2 via the ubuntu 8.04 disc, and plugged this into my driver board. I have tried to run the test movements to see if it works, but the motors do not turn. I need some advice to get the settings right, so I can make my machine work.

I am making a cnc router (a la diycnc.com). I have 3 x nema 23 motors, a system 4c board and driver boards (from www.diycnc.co.uk).

my step conf settings are as follows:

step time - 10000 ns
step space - 500,000 ns
direction hold - 20,000 ns
direction setup - 20,000 ns

jitter 7272

my pin numbers are as in the supplied manual for the driver board - with two exceptions. The manual asks for pin 15 to be input 5. however I was unable to find an input 5 option, so have this as unused. the manual also calls the inputs input 1, 2 ,3, 4 which i have taken to mean the emc2 digital input 0,1,2,3
I realise this may be incorrect - but it seemed worth a try.

steps per rev are 200
microstepping = 0.25
pitch = 1.95

(am using mm btw)

anyway When I turn the pc on and toggle the estop button on emc2, then all the lights on the driver board light up. When I toggle machine power, home each axis then run the trial, the motors do not spin at all.

any help or ideas would be much appreciated!
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2011 13:16 #9969 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:noob settings questions
Do you have a link to the manual. I assume one is for enabling the drive...

John

More
21 May 2011 13:30 #9970 by ppope357
Replied by ppope357 on topic Re:noob settings questions
hi
many thanks for the quick response. you can find the manual here
www.diycnc.co.uk/html/system4.html

cheers

More
21 May 2011 13:49 #9971 by BigJohnT
Did you configure or disable the charge pump?

Charge Pump Circuit
The System4C board uses a 12 KHz charge pump signal from the controlling software to operate the
enable line on all four driver circuits. This signal uses pin1 from the parallel port for its input and must
be setup in your software configuration. When the signal is present the red enable light will illuminate
showing that the board is active. If your software does not support this function you may override this
signal with the L1 jumper link making the board permanently enabled.

John

More
21 May 2011 13:54 #9972 by ppope357
Hi
The charge pump is enabled, as in the manual. When I turn the power supply on and toggle power on (in emc2) the light activates.
thanks again for your help - I am very new (and somewhat ignorant) to emc2.
cheers

More
21 May 2011 14:12 #9973 by cncbasher
sent you a msg

Dave

More
21 May 2011 14:14 #9974 by BigJohnT
The inputs are not needed unless you have home or limit switches and can be set to unused.

My next guess is bad parallel cable (some don't have all the pins connected) or step and direction reversed in the config. When you try and jog (try both ways) does the stepper move one step?

John

More
24 May 2011 20:16 #10035 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:noob settings questions
I am guessing you are in the UK? If you are anywhere near Essex I could pop round and have a look.

More
24 May 2011 20:41 #10038 by ppope357
Hi
Firstly thanks to all for these responses. Within an hour of posting I was on the phone to an expert who talked me through the step conf settings I needed, and after a bit of soldering I managed to get the motors spinning. This has really reaffirmed my faith in open source software, and also humanity! So thanks again!

My progress is basically I know the motors and driver boards work, and I need to do more testing to make sure the limit switches work etc. I now have a very basic working knowledge of emc and will be building on that. Unfortunately I don't have much spare time, so further testing will have to wait for the weekend. Once I have everything sorted I will post my settings etc.

Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.619 seconds