EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?

More
13 May 2013 11:32 #33972 by otto_pjm
mungkie
I've been playing with the image, it seems pretty usable in sim anyway. Was the default LXDE windows manager to big / slow. I played with the stock rpi distro a bit and it's a nice windows manager?

I created an inch based .ini, and that's been about it so far. I looked about for the code you mentioned in earlier posts, but don't see the src. Is it not in the current distribution? Not that I'm likely to be able to interpret much of it, but I like to poke around and see what I can understand.

I also found that overclocking helps make everything a bit more responsive, what rate are others testing with?

Thanks again for all the work on this, I hope to be able to connect the rpi to some drivers and motors soon.

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2013 07:49 - 20 May 2013 07:53 #34407 by andypugh

Okay web page is updated with new download link, should be a 319Mb download, please let me know if there are any problems with it.

Just got round to trying this. startx gives me a blank screen with an underscore cursor, followed by a totally blank screen.

I can still ssh into the Pi, and it appears to be alive, though.

But ssh -X then launching the script causes an instant ssh disconnect.

Curious. I do have quite an early Pi.
Last edit: 20 May 2013 07:53 by andypugh. Reason: more info

More
20 May 2013 09:09 #34411 by otto_pjm
Andy,

So after the screen goes blank, this doesn't work.

>>> Once you have left click and hold the menu should appear select debian->applications->shells->bash and then release the left mouse button.

? It's a very minimal X window system.
If not what kind of monitor are you using, for me with HDMI output it gives me a letter boxed screen, (1300 something my 700 something) but works quite well. I found some info on building an image, and plan to try and make one using the default lxde windows system. No idea if that will be successful.

Pete

More
21 May 2013 05:48 #34473 by wyzarddoc
Hi All;
Been away for awile so trying to get caught up. Someone mentioned offloading the pulse generation. This should help if we can seperate the code to allow the M3 core on this board to generate step and direction along with checking for limit switchs etc. www.coocox.org/epi.html
I have done some work with the 72Mhz M3's and it should be fast enough for a 3 or 4 axis system. Boards are available from element 14 for $34.00. I have one on order. If someone can help seperate the code so I can run bench tests I'd appreciate it
thanks
Doc

More
21 May 2013 05:48 #34474 by andypugh

I think maybe the web page instructions are not so clear as I changed the window manager that X uses, the twm window manager which requires you to left click and hold down your mouse button for the menu to

I read this, and then forgot it befor booting the Pi.

It all looks good apart from one minor problem, the default RPi config uses an IO pin that doesn't exist in the Series one RPi. (GPIO27). I changed to 17,18,22,23,9,25.

Next: see where I put my stepper drivers.

More
21 May 2013 05:56 #34475 by andypugh
Are the other IO pins available as slower (servo-thread) GPIO?

I am thinking of designing and ordering a batch of breakout boards.

More
21 May 2013 06:25 #34477 by andypugh

Been away for awile so trying to get caught up. Someone mentioned offloading the pulse generation.

Yes, and Mungkie has very cunningly offloaded step generation to the PWM hardware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wyzarddoc

More
21 May 2013 07:04 #34479 by wyzarddoc
Thanks for the info about Mungkie. Where can I find out about his work? Most of the I/O pins on the M3 core are brought out to the Arduino style pin headers but double outputs per header row. I am still in learning phase so not and expert on
best use but looks like has 3 register out mode?
thanks
Doc

More
21 May 2013 07:09 #34480 by wyzarddoc
It would easily be possible to stack a Arduino prototyping board to the pins on this board and create a BoB that's programable and has diodes for the ultimate protection
Doc

More
21 May 2013 16:01 #34489 by andypugh

Thanks for the info about Mungkie.

I am a bit confused by this question. He started this thread and has posted a link to what appears to be a fully functional RPi image with his stepper driver included in a sample config.
linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/18-...y-pi?start=170#33848

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds