EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?

More
14 Apr 2018 00:29 #108983 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?
Probably the RPI's BroadCOM SOC doesn't have built in Ethernet, though a number of RPI clones
like "le potato" do have built in non USB based Ethernet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2018 06:39 #110236 by BrendaEM
Respectfully, I find it odd if EMC32 has difficulty running on a 1.4GHz processor'ed computer with 4 cores.

[Apparently, a dualcore 2.6GHz Dell laptop, is too slow as well.]

More
05 May 2018 13:22 #110248 by InMyDarkestHour
I wouldn't even attempt Linuxcnc on a laptop, other than for development.
2 or more cores can can actually slow down task switching. ( At least of an x86 platform, I wish I could find the article I read about it)

More
09 May 2018 16:55 #110439 by BrendaEM
I should hope that running on more than 1 core wouldn't be a problem because that would doom LinuxCNC, as there may be no single cored processors being made for the desktop.

More
09 May 2018 17:03 - 09 May 2018 17:03 #110440 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?
I've run LinuxCNC for more than 10 years and have never run it on a single core processor
(even 10 years ago they were uncommon in PCs)
Last edit: 09 May 2018 17:03 by PCW.

More
09 May 2018 19:23 #110445 by DaBit
Replied by DaBit on topic EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?
ARM MHz != x86 MHz. Those ARM things are quite slow per MHz. Not only CPU clock-by-clock, but also memory speed, storage speed, etcetera.

And the LinuxCNC core itself runs fine on even a 500MHz single-core Cortex A9. It is all the Python stuff and graphics that slows it down. Polling the LinuxCNC status channel a few times per second from within Python already causes quite a CPU load. This is something the MachineKit folks do better: they can run the UI on a remote target such as a tablet and use a fairly lightweight communication protocol. Should be possible with NML too, but nobody did it afaik.

Ontopic: The 3D printer is still running strong on the Pi 3. No issues at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

More
10 May 2018 00:30 #110477 by InMyDarkestHour

I should hope that running on more than 1 core wouldn't be a problem because that would doom LinuxCNC, as there may be no single cored processors being made for the desktop.

No that was not what I said.

More
18 May 2019 23:31 #134226 by jmr
Replied by jmr on topic EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?
Looks like I am bit in the past. I found my old raspberry.
Is there any recent downloadable sdcard image to try on my RPI21? The one I found is from 2013. I would like to try it out and wonder if anything got better since then, if not it would be nice to have newer LinuxCNC and a working environment for compilation without all the trouble.
Is the new awaited RPI-compatible MESA board going to work with older models? It looks very promising!

More
19 May 2019 08:13 #134250 by twoflowers
I have a RPi3B+ running ith linuxcnc and steppers on GPIO, I used the instruction in the wiki to build it. Not the fastest, but it moves a simple mill. I'll get a mesa7i90HD next week, i'm couriouse how this will turn out.

More
19 May 2019 08:39 #134253 by DaBit
Replied by DaBit on topic EMC2 running on Raspberry Pi?
The Pi3 in my 3D printer is still running flawless, and due to the fact that 3D-printing is a slow process it makes far, far more hours than mill and lathe combined.
The only issue I have is that the preprocessing of RepRap-flavour Gcode to LinuxCNC NGC is a bit slow for large files. I could move that to the PC running the slicer but I never bothered.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds