contour shuttle pro as EMC pendant

More
14 Apr 2013 20:02 #32724 by m8298
Hello,

I am in the process of setting up my 4 axis router in EMC/Linuxcnc. It has been setup in Mach3 for some time now and works fine. I would like to try it on Linuxcnc to do some comparison. In Mach3, I have been using a Contour Shuttle Pro for a pendant and I really like it. Can anyone tell me if I can set it up in Linuxcnc? And if so, how do I do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 20:22 #32725 by ArcEye
Hi

There is no stock component, see these 2 threads, not sure if they resulted in a finished item

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...oders?start=60#29440
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...s-every-x-time#29477

regards

More
14 Apr 2013 21:29 #32726 by m8298
Thanks for the reply. I saw one of those. I've been reading through a number of threads. It's kind of confusing, trying to piece the information together. It looks like someone has the Shuttle Express working. It's basically the same device with fewer buttons.

More
14 Apr 2013 22:02 #32727 by m8298
Another question, I saw this link:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/shuttlexpress.1.html

Is this a predefined user function in the hal? If so, how do I use it? How do I assign the buttons? And could I add buttons to it to make the Shuttle Pro buttons all work?

More
15 Apr 2013 19:18 #32744 by andypugh

Is this a predefined user function in the hal? If so, how do I use it? How do I assign the buttons? And could I add buttons to it to make the Shuttle Pro buttons all work?

What do you want the buttons to do?

Try the following in your custom.hal file.
loadusr shuttlexpress
net feed-o shuttlexpress.0.counts => halui.max-velocity.counts
setp halui.max-velocity.count-enable 1

If everything is working properly then that will make the inner shuttle wheel control the feed over-ride. (As an example)

More
15 Apr 2013 19:39 #32746 by m8298
Is that all I should need to add?? And will it work with a Shuttle Pro, as opposed to the Shuttle Express?

The way I have my Shuttle Pro setup in Mach3 is I have four of the buttons used to select an axis(XYZA), one button to turn an output on and off for a laser crosshair, one button to zero X & Y on workpiece to the laser crosshair, one button as another e-stop, one button for "run", one button for "stop", one button to zero my A axis, and one button to switch DROs from mm to IN.

More
15 Apr 2013 20:13 #32750 by andypugh

Is that all I should need to add??

Well, that only gives one function to one control, there will be a comensurate increase in complexity as more buttons and controls are given functions.

And will it work with a Shuttle Pro, as opposed to the Shuttle Express?

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...2e61ec5fe7a8;hb=HEAD
Has the product-id hard-coded as 0x20, and the Shuttle Pro is 0x0011 (according to the interweb). So it probably won't work without changes.
There is probably a good argument for making the component work with both devices.

The way I have my Shuttle Pro setup in Mach3 is I have four of the buttons used to select an axis(XYZA), one button to turn an output on and off for a laser crosshair, one button to zero X & Y on workpiece to the laser crosshair, one button as another e-stop, one button for "run", one button for "stop", one button to zero my A axis, and one button to switch DROs from mm to IN.

That can all be set up in LinuxCNC, but it makes sense to check that it works at all first.

More
15 Apr 2013 20:30 #32751 by m8298
So, how do I make the changes? Do I save a copy of the file on that link, change the Poduct ID, add buttons, and save it? If so, where do I save it?

More
16 Apr 2013 00:36 #32760 by andypugh

So, how do I make the changes? Do I save a copy of the file on that link, change the Poduct ID, add buttons, and save it? If so, where do I save it?

Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that, as is is a C file so needs to be compiled, and to compile it you need all the rest of the LinuxCNC source code.

Can you make sure that the existing component doesn't just work first?

More
16 Apr 2013 00:53 #32762 by m8298
I guess i knew that answer. I'll try that component, it's worth a shot. But I believe you are right about it not working due to the product ID.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds