contour shuttle pro as EMC pendant

More
16 Apr 2013 01:17 #32765 by m8298
I found this in the wiki:

hidcomp.sourceforge.net/

It looks like this would work for me(once I understand it.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2013 05:52 #32854 by m8298
I downloaded and installed hidcomp. I have it recognizing my Contour Shuttle Pro. Can anyone explain to me how to set pins in hal so I can link them in hidcomp? I want the following functions assigned to hal pins to be used on the buttons:

One pin/button for each axis (xyza) to jog enable.
One pin/button to set a parallel port output.
One pin/button for program run.
One pin/button for program stop.
One pin/button for program rewind.
One pin/button for estop.
One pin/button to zero A axis.
One pin/button to switch in/mm.
One pin/button to set a position offset. (I still need to learn how to do this in EMC. It is to set X and Y position based on a laser pointer.)

More
18 Apr 2013 05:56 #32855 by m8298
I forgot to mention the wheel and dial. I would like to use the wheel to jog (similar to mpg), and if possible, the dial for feed rate override.

More
18 Apr 2013 06:06 #32856 by andypugh

I downloaded and installed hidcomp. I have it recognizing my Contour Shuttle Pro. Can anyone explain to me how to set pins in hal so I can link them in hidcomp? I want the following functions assigned to hal pins to be used on the buttons:

One pin/button for each axis (xyza) to jog enable.
One pin/button to set a parallel port output.
One pin/button for program run.
One pin/button for program stop.
One pin/button for program rewind.
One pin/button for estop.
One pin/button to zero A axis.
One pin/button to switch in/mm.
One pin/button to set a position offset. (I still need to learn how to do this in EMC. It is to set X and Y position based on a laser pointer.)

There is absolutely no way that anyone without a Shuttle Pro can help you without more info.
At the very least we need a list of the pins that the hidcomp creates, and what they do when you twiddle the device.

Even then a major problem might remain, in that Seb only wrote the Shuttle Express driver because the jog shuttle behaviour in the Express is just plain weird.

If you can describe _exactly_ what the effect is of manipulating each control on the shuttle pro is on the associated HAL pin, and how you want LinuxCNC to interpret that, then we can tell you how to configure the HAL.

More
18 Apr 2013 06:51 - 18 Apr 2013 06:52 #32857 by m8298
But if I understand correctly, hidcomp recognizes USB devices (including Shuttle Pro) and their controls with associated data types. It does recognize my Shuttle Pro by product ID and Vendor ID and places the 13 buttons, wheel, and dial in it's table. In the table each row corresponds to a control. The last column in each row is where I name the hal pin. If I understand, all I should have to do is edit hal to include these hal pin names and assign their functions. Am I wrong here?
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 06:52 by m8298.

More
18 Apr 2013 07:02 #32858 by andypugh

Am I wrong here?

No, but (If I recall correctly) the Express jog wheel does wierd stuff, hence the special driver. If the pro does not do wierd stuff, then just connect it up in HAL.

But as you are currenlty the only guy in the world who knows what pins hidcomp creates with a shuttle pro, we can't advise without more info.

More
18 Apr 2013 07:12 #32859 by m8298
Can you tell me where I find the pins it creates?

More
18 Apr 2013 07:30 #32862 by andypugh

Can you tell me where I find the pins it creates?

If, (and only if) LinuxCNC is currently starting without an error, you can see them all in the Machine->Show Hal Config screen of Axis (Other GUIs will vary).

That is not easy to share, though. So, iff Linuxcnc is starting without errors, then with it open, you can open a terminal window and type
halcmd show pin
and copy/paste the output.
Or, to be properly geeky
halcmd show pin > pin.txt
to put the pin names into a new file called pins.txt

More
18 Apr 2013 07:47 #32863 by m8298
EMC loads without error. But hid comp isn't generating the pins?

More
18 Apr 2013 08:01 #32865 by andypugh
This is really hard to help with.

What made you think that hidcomp was working?

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds