AMD computer build

More
20 Jan 2014 04:59 #43016 by jonesturf
AMD computer build was created by jonesturf
New to all this and trying to use what I already have. I have enough extra parts to build an AMD based computer off a biostar motherboard. Its got an am2 socket so it could be a dual up to quad core and either an athlon or Phenom. I see a lot of older computers being used. Would this be a bad build?

Also would have to add a parallel port. Is that not desirable? I was thinking a nice dual core CPU would work well. Maybe I'm wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2014 05:18 #43017 by jonesturf
Replied by jonesturf on topic AMD computer build
Should also add that this will just be a dedicated CNC computer. No CAD/CAM or anything.

Also have a spare ATI HD4870 laying around I could use for graphics but that probably doesn't help anything.

More
20 Jan 2014 08:43 #43020 by jonesturf
Ok, I went back and reread some stuff...mainly the wiki entries. It helps to read things multiple times. I got caught reading up on post of people who had multicore machines and older models were being recommended.

Latency is going to be my biggest issue and I see where there are some solutions to those problems. I also read where Nvidia cards give fits so I will stay away from them. Read up on how to dedicate a core for RT kernel. Most of that should cover the basics.

So it looks like it I'm probably ok but will have to wait and see. I currently need a processor and RAM, have all of the other components. Any recommendations there related to a multicore AMD system? Athlon dual core should be ok or anything that will fit an AM2/AM3 socket. Maybe they have a single core processor even...will have to look. I have an Athlon Triple core now and I'm going to install on that to play around with and run some tests. Maybe I will use that PC for this and build another in place of that. It's just a HTPC anyway and is pretty barebones.

More
20 Jan 2014 08:51 #43021 by jonesturf
What about a AMD Sempron 140-150 processor? Single core and like 2.8 Ghz and cheap! Would a single core be a better choice than a dual core?

More
20 Jan 2014 15:26 #43027 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic AMD computer build
Hello,
If you already have a possible PC, and your concern is the latency, why do you not test it?
Download and burn the CD, run the latency test and you can confirm the latency results. If they are not satisfactory, then think on another solution.
I have good results with (I have 2 different, brands and models) atom boards.

More
21 Jan 2014 00:10 #43032 by jonesturf
I just have parts right now. Trying to save some money by using what I have. Still need a processor and looking for advice before I go buying the wrong thing. In the end I can probably make it work but if anyone has had issues with a similar setup I would like to know before I go dumping money and time into something.

I did download the CD and am going to try it today on a similar PC and see what happens.

More
21 Jan 2014 00:26 #43034 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic AMD computer build
Hi

Have a look at the database of what figures have been achieved by users with various machines
There are some AMD ones in there if you must have AMD
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Latency-Test

If you read these FAQs, you will see that multi core can bring problems, processing power and latency are not the same thing
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...-the-latency-problem
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...me-latency-solutions

I personally would look for something in the 2.4 - 3.0 GHz single core with 2GB RAM, but look at what others got from something similar before deciding, and make sure you test both the 8.04 and 10.04 Live CDs
I cannot recommend an AMD setup from personal experience because all my machines have Intel processors and chipsets

regards

More
21 Jan 2014 01:39 #43036 by birchy
Replied by birchy on topic AMD computer build
Basically, latency tests are always better when running on a single core machine, so a dual core (with one core disabled) or a single core will perform best. I've got an Athlon 3000+ but can't get latency below 13.6K, despite trying various kernels. Interestingly, the Ubuntu 8.04 version gives 13.6K (it's built on a Uni-Processor Kernel) and I can also achieve this with a highly optimized BIOS and Debian Wheezy with Seb's 3.4.55 kernel . Based on what 8.04 tells me, 13.6K is optimal for my hardware.

I've read that the Athlon processors are not ideal and the Sempron seems to give better latency figures of <10K based on the latency wiki Arceye linked above.

In order to to get lower latency, I've just bought a used HP DC7600 off ebay for £12.50 + £10 P&P as the wiki suggests it will give me <10K latency. At that price, it's cheaper than trying to upgrade my old AMD hardware...

More
21 Jan 2014 01:54 #43038 by jonesturf
The Sempron is cheap and what I would probably try. Maybe I can ask around or keep my eyes open for an older machine. I still have time. Thanks for the info on the AMD stuff though.

More
21 Jan 2014 01:59 #43039 by jonesturf
So on the latency results page there are 4 columns. Two are interval and two are jitter. I'm interested in the max jitter results, right? Does it matter which max jitter is more important? Seems like there are some AMD Athlons below 10k.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds