AMD computer build

More
21 Jan 2014 02:26 #43040 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic AMD computer build
Biostar mb's have horrible latency, to the point where you can get a realtime error just loading EMC. Try a Gigabyte, Asus or one of the intel boards(atom I think). I have 3 machines with Gigabytes and one with an asus, both work. The GB seems considerably more sturdy built. Both run Amd 3 chips.Biostar's seem like a great deal, lots of nice features, they just dont work well with a realtime system. My experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2014 15:52 #43075 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic AMD computer build

So on the latency results page there are 4 columns. Two are interval and two are jitter. I'm interested in the max jitter results, right? Does it matter which max jitter is more important? Seems like there are some AMD Athlons below 10k.

If you are running a software generated stepper machine, it is the base thread max jitter that is important, that is the thread the stepgens run on.

The servo thread does not want to be too high, but there is more latitude, because the components running on it are not so time critical

regards

More
07 Feb 2014 00:38 #43610 by jonesturf
Replied by jonesturf on topic AMD computer build
Ok thanks everyone. The Biostar is something I have laying around. I agree they aren't built as well as some of the other boards but it's what I have. If I have to I will update it. I think I'm going to go with a Sempron single Core. Will post results for the wiki when I get it up and running.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds