Is There a Known Good Hardware List?

More
06 Sep 2016 20:47 #80090 by andypugh
I think that it can simplify your thinking to consider the PC as "The LinuxCNC board" and treat it as just another component. It isn't even one of the expensive ones.

I like to bolt a 12V-supplied Mini-ITX board to a base plate then plug in an 8GB DOM SSD module and RAM then run it off system power. Bolt the interface cards to the same backplate and you have a "CNC Module"

The cable on the DOM is a kludge, I snapped off the connector and had to solder on a short length of SATA cable to rescue the situation, I was glad it wasn't IDE or PATA. Or Ultra-Wide SCSI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2016 20:52 #80092 by tommylight

The cable on the DOM is a kludge, I snapped off the connector and had to solder on a short length of SATA cable to rescue the situation, I was glad it wasn't IDE or PATA. Or Ultra-Wide SCSI.

LOL, i still have some of those ultra wide SCSI cables and drives here. Want me to mail you some???

More
06 Sep 2016 21:32 #80093 by Clive S
Would you mind telling me if it has pci or pcix on.

More
06 Sep 2016 21:41 #80094 by rodw

LOL, i still have some of those ultra wide SCSI cables and drives here. Want me to mail you some???

SCSI What on earth is that ? :ohmy: B)

More
06 Sep 2016 21:54 #80095 by tommylight

SCSI What on earth is that ? :ohmy: B)

pronounced "skazi", it was HDD controller used in servers and workstations, till SATA became the standard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
06 Sep 2016 21:57 #80096 by rodw
[quote="tommylight" post=80095}

pronounced "skazi", it was HDD controller used in servers and workstations, till SATA became the standard.[/quote]

Ahh yes I remember, some fossil from Adaptec wasn't it? :unsure:

How could I forget .......

More
06 Sep 2016 22:09 #80097 by tommylight
LOL
Yup that was it, it was bloody expensive but fast for that time period.

More
07 Sep 2016 17:04 #80137 by andypugh

[hh yes I remember, some fossil from Adaptec wasn't it? :unsure: .

Not an Adaptec invention. SCSI was (I have heard) originaly Shugart Computer System Interface

It was used on high-end stuff, and is still used today, though now it is the same command set but serial connection.

More
07 Sep 2016 17:08 #80138 by Clive S

If you want a stable PC (this year I used it on more than 6 machines):

Motherboard MSI H97M-E35 1
Intel Pentium G3460 3.5GHz 3MB SK1150 (BX80646G3460)
4Gb of RAM

This PC build is quite solid and fast, preforms quite well in linuxcnc.

Does it have a pci or a pcix slot

More
08 Oct 2016 13:07 - 08 Oct 2016 13:30 #81404 by Clive S
Andy

I like to bolt a 12V-supplied Mini-ITX board to a base plate then plug in an 8GB DOM SSD module

I have this above but does the DOM require a driver as the linuxcnc iso does not see it a a drive ?
Last edit: 08 Oct 2016 13:30 by Clive S.

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds