Can Asus Tinker Board run LINUXCNC

More
24 Jan 2017 17:48 - 25 Jan 2017 07:38 #86575 by reliantkill
Does the Asus Tinker Board is able to run LINUXCNC ? this would be great the I/O could probably run on Ethernet. I know its getting harder and harder for regular PC hardware to be adapted to LINUXCNC. PC has a big foot print, if it could be replace with a Asus Tinker Board the implementation could easily fit in smaller box. Hope the LINUXCNC Team would give it a try.
Comment here if you would like ("a wish") this implementation so we can create interest
Last edit: 25 Jan 2017 07:38 by reliantkill. Reason: bad link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2017 18:37 #86577 by tommylight
I will give it a look, but i do not think it will do, processor is unknown. Even if it is x86 architecture, most probably it will have sky high latency as they use all possible power saving options.
Also please post links to sites that have a bit of respect for the readers, not sites that force people to disable adblockers and use coockies specificaly for tracking.
Thanks for the info, i never heard of that board before right now.
TOM

More
24 Jan 2017 19:21 #86579 by PCW
If someone wants to try the Tinker board, the first step is to build a real time kernel
and check whether you can get decent latency (and stability)

Either Xenomai or Preempt-RT kernels could be built

Note its not really true that PCs that run LinucCNC are getting hard o find,
as a matter of fact, many newer PCs have very good latency, even with Preempt-RT
which is probably the future real time kernel of choice.

freeby.mesanet.com/h97-g3258-preemt-rt.png

for example

More
25 Jan 2017 09:46 #86602 by bymccoy
The board only seems to have been announced/released this week...

www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/2...tinker-board-asus-4k

Specs for the Tinker Board include a quad core 1.8GHz ARM Cortex-A17 CPU, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, four USB 2.0 ports, support for gigabit LAN and Bluetooth 4.0, 3.5mm audio jack, microSD slot, Micro USB for power, swappable 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi antennas, and a HDMI 2.0 port with support for 4K video.

More
25 Jan 2017 15:29 #86633 by reliantkill
Thanks for the heads up on the PC hardware, that is a relief for me. I am about to put a configuration together by next week so if there is a Mesa PC package for 5I25-7I77 or an integrated PC package that includes the Mesa 5I25-7I77 in it, can you or someone post the package model number or the listing so I and probably others can take a look so trying to choose hardware its not an issue anymore at least for me.

More
03 Jul 2018 13:42 #113317 by tjtr33
katum573 has tinkerboard running lcnc with mesa over SPI

he's been working on similar for a long time
forum.cncprovn.com/threads/7167-FPGA-Per...n-control-card/page4
forum.cncprovn.com/archive/index.php?t-7167-p-2.html

sorry its all in Vietnamese but thats life in the real world :-)

tomp tjtr33 staggerlytomp with linuxcnc since RayHenry's first BDI

More
18 Oct 2018 19:24 #119014 by Oliver Sedlacek
I'm pleased someone else has discovered the Tinker board as it looks promising. For those of you haven't seen it, it's a rival to the Raspberry Pi but tuned for performance rather than low power. It's got a quad core ARM A17 processor running at 1.8 GHz coupled to fast DDR memory, so it really should be quicker than the Raspberry Pi. We're using it for a machine vision project, so I'm interested to see how it performs.

More
17 Mar 2019 14:29 #128823 by berin
Something to think about.. I'm running armbian on the tinker board... trying to get a real time kernel built though I do not currently have a computer I can use to do so... I have been solving a lot of other issues with the asus tinker board system. I have started a git hub to be a major AID.. My goal is to turn the system into a cnc control ideally a linuxcnc controller. When I get a working realtime/pre-empt kernel i'll upload the image here. currently I'm starting to post howto's on the tinker board. github.com/berinc/Asus-Tinker-Board

I also built a mold to build a shell for SBC's like the PI and tinker board etc....
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2019 22:00 #128928 by tommylight
Nice !
Laser etched writing on the buttons is perfect ! :)

More
10 Apr 2019 21:53 - 10 Apr 2019 21:56 #130625 by berin
I now have built both the RT kernel and the current linuxcnc build and it works on the tinkerboard. The link below has my patches that I used and built. I included the .patch file for those who want to compile. I offered the DEB paches for those who want to just install. They are compiled for 4.19.34. armbian. As to bilding linuxcnc, you will need to clone the GIT of linuxcnc, then follow one of the guides for how tobuild it, DO NOT build the SIMULATOR if you plan to spin motors and i'm not sure about the difference bewteen normal and DEV versions.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html one of many sites on how to build
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc the git source that will work for tinkerboard using armbian and many others
forum.armbian.com/topic/10007-tinker-boa...-working-free-offer/ My patches, when I get around to it I'll offer an SD card image that has the FULL preempt RT kernel ready to go. when I get the GPIO working with linuxcnc I'll post a working image of everything. So all someone has to do is pop the SDCARD image into the tinkerboard and adjjust settings as needed and have a working cnc controller.
Attached file is the RT patch that works with armbian NEXT or 3.19 for those who want to roll there own.

File Attachment:

File Name: patch-4.19...patch.gz
File Size:187 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2019 21:56 by berin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds