Chromebook and LinuxCNC

More
09 Aug 2017 01:15 #97224 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Chromebook and LinuxCNC

Config: Est yr 2014 HP 15 Notebook w/Win 8 OS>Mach4 Hobby/Industrial>Warp9 ESS>C10 BOB>KL-4030 Micro Step Drivers

Will become HP Laptop -> Linux OS -> LinuxCNC -> Mesa 7i76e -> JKL-4030 Drivers.

It is possible to plug a Parallel port BOB into the 7i76e but you loose all of the benefits of the vastly superior Mesa hardware.You would be far better off rewiring to the Mesa step gens and I/O ports.

I think you are still missing something. You CANNOT use a Warp9 ESS smoothstepper with LinuxCNC. Its a piece of hardware built to address the inadequacies of Mach3/4 and Windows and IS NOT SUPPORTED under LinuxCNC. The reason why its not supported is that its not required as LinuxCNC does not have the weaknesses that it was designed to fix in Mach.

As Andy said, the Mesa 7i76e is vastly superior and only a few $ more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2017 16:51 #97245 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Chromebook and LinuxCNC

I might be willing to obtain an enclosed mini PC and some additional hardware if anymore compatible and fits budget. I'd like to conserve already equipment meantime if compatible. I do like how compact and isolated the enclosed mini PCs are.

An alternative is just to view the PC motherboard as one more component, and mount it in the electrical panel.

Example.

That is a Mini-ITX motherboard (one that takes a single 12V input) with a Mesa 5i24 mounted on an "over the top" PCI riser and a stack of 7i84, 7i44 and 7i49 cards. For storage there is an 8GB SATA DOM module (£20) plugged directly into an SATA port.
8GB seems plenty for the OS and a sane number of G-code files.

More
09 Aug 2017 17:49 #97248 by smplc
Replied by smplc on topic Chromebook and LinuxCNC
It's clear now that Warp9 and Mesa 7i84 are exclusive boards and support each PC control.

More
09 Aug 2017 18:02 #97249 by andypugh
It would be fairly easy to write a smart-serial driver for boards like the 7i84 for Mach3.

But I don't know if any such driver.

There is at least one non-Mesa smart serial device, the STMBL servo drive.

More
10 Aug 2017 03:53 - 10 Aug 2017 11:40 #97270 by smplc
Is a similar LinuxCNC wheezy-2.7 install available without starting BIOS? Startup Insyde legacy BIOS, one of devices primary, internal hard drive and w/Win 8 OS and another USB which appears LinuxCNC won't allow load onto. Ubuntu 16.10 does. Stuck at /dev/console. /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off. Could LinuxCNC require a Shell and a comparable device identity? Is Ubuntu 10.04 and linuxcnc.org/install-scripts/lucid/linuxcnc-install.sh update able to present?
Last edit: 10 Aug 2017 11:40 by smplc.

More
10 Aug 2017 11:37 - 11 Aug 2017 13:28 #97279 by smplc
Reminder is current Debian LinuxCNC is startup in BIOS. Is it not as independent as Ubuntu 16.10 but was it origins or framework of Ubuntu? Is Debian LinuxCNC classified it's own OS? Again Ubuntu 16.10 loads on BIOS legacy and other drive Win 8. Is it possible to have more than one BIOS in a computer? Could BIOS legacy, primary, internal hard drive & w/Win 8 OS and drive USB with Ubuntu 16.10 & emulate or virtualize Debian LinuxCNC?

I haven't tried Ubuntu 10.04 and linuxcnc.org/install-scripts/lucid/linuxcnc-install.sh yet and unaware if it's version of LinuxCNC is separate boot up.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2017 13:28 by smplc.

More
11 Aug 2017 13:30 #97342 by smplc
Recently seen wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl and bottom of page.

More
14 Aug 2017 16:20 #97470 by andypugh

Reminder is current Debian LinuxCNC is startup in BIOS. Is it not as independent as Ubuntu 16.10 but was it origins or framework of Ubuntu? Is Debian LinuxCNC classified it's own OS? .

I don't really understand the question.

LinuxCNC is an application that run on a standard OS.
However, to work with LinuxCNC that OS needs to run on a special kernel, either PREEMPT-RT or RTAI.

So, LinuxCNC is two layers with the OS in the middle. You can install separately but it's easier to just install everything at the same time.

More
14 Aug 2017 17:02 #97473 by smplc
Debian LinuxCNC just wouldn't load Flash Drive legacy BIOS, with HP 15 notebook, Win 8 OS and Insyde UEFI. Ubuntu 16.10 did load legacy BIOS okay and operable. I tried to install Oracle Virtual Box onto legacy of boot of Ubuntu 16.10 but it didn't work.

I suppose required is Ubuntu OS if to load Debain LinuxCNC both separate boots.

RTAI might not interfere with loading Debain LinuxCNC yet because it loaded with Chromebook and only USB ports but trying to open LinuxCNC did error probably due to RTAI incompatibility.

More
29 Aug 2017 23:41 #98169 by smplc
GB-BXBT-1900, pamphlet instruction, Brix Driver (UFEI/BIOS) install DVD, default and option Windows 7 or 8. I don't know if default has a list of other OS. Is Ubuntu OS okay with Brix Driver? The mini-PC includes an Intel Celeron J1900 CPU. I guess Linux OS has been structured to boot up with most drivers. Is it necessary to use a Linux Driver to boot up Ubuntu with this CPU, if is, where is download? I went to Intel web site, searched for Linux Drivers and only is Firmware Processor Microcode Data File. Is that File a necessary update with any Driver if using Linux OS?

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds