A few ideas ( I can't sleep and few ideas popped up)

More
04 Jul 2018 11:26 #113408 by rodw

Well this is even better:

ChrisM wrote: ⤴
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 pm
We package a Realtime kernel either RTAI or PREEMPT. We usually build two different ISO to accommodated this.
We add linuxcnc using debs
We sometimes backport the GLADE 3.8.6 editor.

As long as it is made clear it is a custom version, not the official one, LinuxCNC may use the Linux Mint ISO for above and does not need to remove the Linux Mint name or branding from it.

If you have other questions about using Linux Mint for LinuxCNC, I'm happy to help.

Chris M

Chris, that is an awesome win! I have to say when I was trying to get going just before cncnoob wrote the Mint tutorial it was impossible to get Debian running reliably with modern hardware and every problem disappeared when the guys helped me get Mint up and running.

It would be awesome if the Current Wheezy ISO versions were replaced with Mint. I can't wait to test the new ISO :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2018 14:11 #113419 by tommylight
We should start a new thread, throw some thoughts on what should be included and decide on what should be included after checking that it does not infer with any of the Linux Mint guidelines.
I have plenty of processing power at my disposal ( over 15 computers with quad I7 or double quad xeons ) so i can throw it on and produce ISO-s, do some testing on a lot more hardware (from pentium 1 @ 166 Mhz :) ), and upload the said ISO-s.
Just to head it off, Linux mint 64 bit with Mate, preempt rt, linuxcnc, librecad, blenderCam, inkscape, geany, nativecam, dxf2gcode, dmap2gcode.
That should cover just about anything CNC related.

More
04 Jul 2018 21:25 - 04 Jul 2018 21:31 #113443 by Grotius
Hi Ozzy,

I tried also linux mint, ubuntu 32 & 64 bit, linuxcnc from iso, debian 9 linuxcnc, and kali.

I think linux mint is not the best operating system at all for linuxcnc. For me debian 9 is still the best stable version until now.
Kali linux with a real time kernel and some program's on the iso you talked about, can be also very good candidate.

You can make your own distro quite easy to download as iso. There are documents how to make your own distro.

Why not do that Ozzy. Make your own distro. Sinds i have a github account i have also made some progress.
But i am awere that i am little between the sharks. And with a pinguing avatar i can't swim very fast.

Ozzyrob in first post :

and would give Ms BrendaEm the real estate she would like

Why that? Are you in love after watching her youtube video?
Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 21:31 by Grotius.

More
04 Jul 2018 21:47 - 04 Jul 2018 21:49 #113445 by InMyDarkestHour
Mint seems to the most popular for windows converts.
Personally I'm a Slackware guy......but I don't want to scare the hordes

To quote Grotius:

Why that? Are you in love after watching her youtube video?

No. I was being sarcastic.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 21:49 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
04 Jul 2018 22:13 - 04 Jul 2018 22:15 #113447 by Grotius
Hi Ozzy,

Scare the hordes.

See time 18.30 on linux icq chat, it start's there. System Monitoring Not Specified.
It scares me. So be awere we are the little one's between the sharkes in the pool.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 22:15 by Grotius.

More
05 Jul 2018 08:47 - 07 Jul 2018 14:31 #113461 by InMyDarkestHour
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 14:31 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
05 Jul 2018 09:49 #113463 by tommylight

But would like to hear any comments about what to add or take out.

Post #113419 above ! :)

More
05 Jul 2018 10:20 #113464 by InMyDarkestHour
The following user(s) said Thank You: tecno

More
05 Jul 2018 10:58 #113467 by rodw
Before you guys go off and make a new thread and a Mint ISO, can I suggest you stop and consider what should be included? Whilst I love the idea of including a few cool tools, is that what we have approval for?

Should the ISO be pure Mint and a pure version of LinuxCNC?

Would it be better to add a script that allowed people to optionally install the extras? Maybe wrap it up into a simple GUI installer?

Personally, I would prefer not to see the scope of the LinuxCNC deliverable expanded as it will just come back to this forum as additional support workload.

Did I tell you I am a big fan of sticking to your core competency?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight, tecno

More
05 Jul 2018 11:00 #113468 by rodw

Post #113419 above ! :)

Rod's thoughts on the matter.
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/34823-a-f...?limitstart=0#113255

Hmm, we cross posted. I did not read this until after my last post.....

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds