New Hardware (solved)

More
19 Feb 2020 12:12 #157848 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New Hardware
If the motors are moving, the port IS working.
You have real time issues, so in the ini file set the base thread to 100000 and check if the movement is improved, and also raise the step time and step space to 15000 each.
Are you using a BOB and what type ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 14:00 #157855 by stefano
Replied by stefano on topic New Hardware
I set the basic thread to 50000 (more does not accept it) the step time and the step space to 15000-20000-25000 and nothing changes
what is BOB?

More
19 Feb 2020 14:41 - 19 Feb 2020 14:57 #157860 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic New Hardware
BOB=break out board

If you can't set the base-thread time to more than 50000 in Stepconfig, you can simply edit it in you're ini file using a text editor. Stepconfig will however over-write any changes you made with an editor, the next time you try to make a change to the config with Stepconfig (It doesn't actually read the config files to see the changes you might have made with an editor, and over-writes the whole file with a new one.)

Changing the base thread to 100000 is only really for testing purposes, because that really is a little too long for practical use with software stepping.

Since you are software stepping, you might just need to give an RTAI kernel version a try. They do tend to give better latency than the Preempt-RT versions. Unfortunately, now isn't the best time in history for a noob to give RTAI a try. The official prepackaged Linuxcnc ISOs with RTAI are quite old (the newest one is on Debain 7) The developers are working on a current RTAI setup, and there are some test versions, but none are a completely simple iso install like the official release, so I'm hesitant to recommend them to a noob.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2020 14:57 by Todd Zuercher.

More
20 Feb 2020 13:20 #157995 by stefano
Ok, at this point I think that the PCI-e card, even if new, is faulty or partially faulty. I will try with another.
Thanks for your patience and for all the advice.
regards
stefano

More
20 Feb 2020 14:09 #158005 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic New Hardware
Why do you think that? The only issue I've ever had with a parallel card only partially working had to do with internal pull ups not working right and that simply caused it to not work correctly with certain breakout boards that were also not correctly designed.

They either work or the don't, they won't cause an intermittent problem with missed steps and they can't cause latency problems.

More
20 Feb 2020 15:49 #158015 by tommylight
Can you please connect the drives directly to parallel port and test ?
Thank you.

More
20 Feb 2020 17:37 #158035 by stefano
To Todd Zuercher
As with a linuxcnc report on computers running on a pci-e card, my Dell 7010 is there (even if you only enable one processor from the BIOS). At this point I think that either the board is faulty or the pci bus is not working properly.

To tommylight
>Can you please connect the drives directly to parallel port and test ?
Sorry but I can't understand, the parallel port is directly connected to the BOB.
I tried again with the old computer (all the USB ports have failed, except one) and the CNC works correctly.

More
20 Feb 2020 18:12 #158036 by tommylight
First:
open with a text editor the ini file with the name you gave it when you used stepconf, located at
/home/your_user_name/linuxcnc/configs/name_of_the_config/name_of_the_config.ini
find
base thread
delete the number after base thread and write 100000
save
start linuxcnc, test movement.
In the same ini file there should also be step size and step space, set them to 15000, save, test.

More
20 Feb 2020 20:18 #158060 by stefano
ok tomorrow afternoon I try.

More
21 Feb 2020 16:13 #158144 by stefano
In the my-mill.ini file I did not find "base thread" but two entries "base_period" brought to 100000 and "servo_period" brought to 1000000.
If I bring "base_period" to values greater than 300000, when Axis starts it appear an error message (and not start) that I enclose.
The result is always the same.

I mounted the old computer's HDD for test on the new one, changing only the LPT address, but the result does not change.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds