Massive Latency, and no PCI port Acer

More
22 Jul 2020 01:45 #175369 by riversvic
I have tried 2 more computers with the same 19.3 Mate and linuxcnc 2.8 download after this computer ACER. I have slow internet and am not good with this stuff. Once I knew I could complete the install successfully I repeated it on different machines hoping for better results. (insanity?)

Computer #2 HP Pavilion a 6567c Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4096mg memory, 640GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE Graphics card, was running Windows Vista Home Premium.
With 19.3 Mate and 2.8 (Latency in the double digit millions)
-tried installing the NVIDIA Drivers with no gained latency results
-pulled the NVIDIA Graphics card and running the integrated card with no significant gain
-attempted kernal 5.0, no massive reduction

Computer #3 HP Elite Book 8470p intel Core I5 running Debian xfce 4.8? and CNC 2.7. (Latency below 50K) I didn't like the mint environment on a laptop but the latency was again massive.

Both of these machines I needed to use a dvd because there was no usb boot option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2020 18:54 #175410 by seuchato
riversvic
As far as my own experience and knowledge in thies forum goes: nvidia and linuxcnc are enemies. Get another GPU.

Further, at least add " idle=poll" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

Besides: do not forget to run "update_grub* afterwards or your system will not use the new parameters.

hth
chris

More
23 Jul 2020 00:49 - 23 Jul 2020 00:52 #175429 by riversvic
Edit:OOPS! I see what I did wrong there

I think I figured out how to change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT on the original acer

either it didn't work or I did it wrong. Latency 15Million

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1 idle=poll isolcpus=x"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Last edit: 23 Jul 2020 00:52 by riversvic.

More
23 Jul 2020 01:03 #175431 by riversvic
I get this whenever I try to edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

** (gedit:2585): WARNING **: : Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

More
23 Jul 2020 01:11 #175432 by riversvic
WOW!!!

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash idle=poll isolcpus=2,3"

Quick test:
servo thread:109k
Base thread: 481K

Way down from 15million, now I can try the script for the latency maybe? It just ran and closed before I believe since it was over 1m

More
23 Jul 2020 11:21 #175512 by seuchato
Still very high numbers, Do you still have an nvidia gpu in that system? If: get rid of it, use matrox, on board, or else but *not* nvidia. I never got good results with nvidia.

If you run the script, it will prompt all relevant hardware and relevant other data that might still be required. Post your results here . Later in the process, you might get the system run with a better latency. If kindly document the changes, for others to see.

If that machine has a bios with options, kindly also document the settings of these options. My script cannot see these options.

I usually set the following (if available):
  • Hypertreading off
  • sound off
  • grafics to onboard (that should be a way in your case, as to my experience core 2 have a well working onboard gpu in them
  • virtualization off
  • (if nothing helps) multicore off

hth chris

More
23 Jul 2020 11:31 #175515 by tommylight
Just went back and reread the original topic,
-Mesa does have PCI-E anything IO cards, namely the 6i25 that i use often and some others,
- When running latency script, choose not to run the default, and choose not to use base period/thread.
That 109K should be good for running a Mesa board, be it PCI-E or Ethernet.
I still think that you have something enabled in BIOS that is causing such high latency numbers, so since you have Mint :
- right click on the bottom panel and choose "add to panel"
- Select "CPU frequency scaling monitor" and click add,
- While running any latency test, check that frequency monitor for changes in frequency
If there are changes, speed step or cpu thermal throttling is active, speed step can be disabled in BIOS, thermal throttling also, but i would remove the cpu cooler and check that it is making proper contact with the cpu and the fan is working, then remove the old thermal paste and add new.

More
23 Jul 2020 13:36 #175542 by seuchato
Tommy

I'll study a possibility to determine if cpu freq scaling is active from my script.

I am also thinking of probably using "cpuspeed" to set the min and max speed at the same below max speed value for thermal reasons. Do you have any experience on this?

Also I suggest a table with all the bios options to play with.

Greez
chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Jul 2020 14:38 #175549 by tommylight

I'll study a possibility to determine if cpu freq scaling is active from my script.

I would not bother with it as new CPU's and mobo's do not care what the operating systems sets them to, they just do what they are programmed to.

I am also thinking of probably using "cpuspeed" to set the min and max speed at the same below max speed value for thermal reasons. Do you have any experience on this?

Linux does have cpu governor included, but on most PC's i use even setting the governor to "performance" does not keep the CPU from lowering the frequency as it should.

Also I suggest a table with all the bios options to play with.

Given all the BIOS vendors and versions, it would be very messy, especially due to the naming conventions ( or lack thereof ), but having a rough list of stuff is doable.
I think i wrote about this, but here it is again:
Lately i have noticed that when using LinuxCNC and latency test the CPU speed will vary on some PC's despite everything disabled in BIOS, but that will not happen while running latency histogram, the frequency will not change while the GUI version of latency histogram is running. That seems strange and that is the reason that lately when replying to latency figures posted by other members i always use the "should work" expression as i am aware that latency histogram numbers might be very good, but using LinuxCNC might still allow for latency excursions.

More
24 Jul 2020 02:12 #175591 by riversvic
I Did find some more items to disable in the bios. When it booted the computer blew out some dust, apparently the fan hasn’t ran in a while.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds