Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
01 Jun 2021 10:59 #210875 by scotta

Yep got it loaded, do i still now need to open a terminal with it running and load loadrt [KINS]KINEMATICS and so on?

No, just run LinuxCNC and select the config you would like to run.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2021 11:01 #210876 by scotta

SKRv14_TMC2209/config.txt I'm unable to find this sample only skr1.3 I'm running the 1.4 turbo with 2209s

Thanks

For the TMC2209 you will need to use the TMC_testing branch for both the firmware bin and config.txt

github.com/scottalford75/Remora/blob/TMC...LPC1769/firmware.bin

github.com/scottalford75/Remora/blob/TMC...4_TMC2209/config.txt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cncninja

More
01 Jun 2021 14:32 #210895 by Cncninja
I've made great progress but got a bit stuck. Thanks for all the help i downloaded the 64bit img from Doogie post with 2.9.0 pre-loaded. i followed the documentation to git clone Remora and HAL compile. i moved the XYZ sample Configs/sim axis folder loaded Linux cnc and picked the Remora XYZ example. Linux CNC loaded up and says axis.ngc-AXIS 2.9.0~pre0 on Remora-XYZ. For the SKR side i Downloaded the Config.txt for the skr1.3 and firmware bin for the LPC1769 copied to a fresh SD card and installed i hooked the SPI up per the DOC ( i did not hook up the serial monitor). Powered both up and Linuxcnc seams to be stuck in estop. I tried the new firmware and config for the 2209 and same response it seams to be locked into estop looking at the HAL meter Remora status shows false. I did notice the Firmware file on the SKR sd card switched to a Cursor file type. Is there anything else i can check? thanks again for your help and work on this.

More
01 Jun 2021 22:37 - 02 Jun 2021 01:08 #210923 by Doogie
If you followed the steps I listed( www.forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42276...-spi?start=40#210542 ) there are some key parts to be keenly aware of.

for one, after creating the rPi image on the uSD, I mount the rootfs partition and get Remora into the home/pi directory. THEN I switched to the TMC_testing branch, make sure it is updated and then copy out the SKR controller firmware.bin file and the config.txt file. You must have the proper firmware and config.txt files on your other uSD card which you put into your controller.

The other important thing is when you boot your rPi, you open a console/terminal and go into the LinuxCNC directory where remora.c is and you run halcompile command from there.

Change where I used the ender3 config to the remora-xyz config and it shoiud work if you got your SPI cable working correctly.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2021 01:08 by Doogie.

More
02 Jun 2021 04:15 - 02 Jun 2021 04:16 #210938 by Aaroncnc
I would hook up the serial output.
It gives you info about the configurations if it loaded it or if there are errors.
Secondly for me it takes 2 hits of my e stop to bring up my machine. If you run linux cnc from terminal take a look at the what happens when you hit the estop.
And paste it here.
In the mean time make a simple config. No encoders or pid temp sensor just simple 3 axis.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2021 04:16 by Aaroncnc.

More
03 Jun 2021 00:55 #211043 by cakeslob

I've made great progress but got a bit stuck. Thanks for all the help i downloaded the 64bit img from Doogie post with 2.9.0 pre-loaded. i followed the documentation to git clone Remora and HAL compile. i moved the XYZ sample Configs/sim axis folder loaded Linux cnc and picked the Remora XYZ example. Linux CNC loaded up and says axis.ngc-AXIS 2.9.0~pre0 on Remora-XYZ. For the SKR side i Downloaded the Config.txt for the skr1.3 and firmware bin for the LPC1769 copied to a fresh SD card and installed i hooked the SPI up per the DOC ( i did not hook up the serial monitor). Powered both up and Linuxcnc seams to be stuck in estop. I tried the new firmware and config for the 2209 and same response it seams to be locked into estop looking at the HAL meter Remora status shows false. I did notice the Firmware file on the SKR sd card switched to a Cursor file type. Is there anything else i can check? thanks again for your help and work on this.

This was me a few pages back, scott walked me through, but hooking up uart is helpful. Load basic everything and go from there. Strip your config to everything except reset and maybe basic stepgen and work from there.
Stripped my config file to something like this
Then started with remora-xyz, and work from there.
{
	"Board": "BIGTREETECH SKR v1.3 & v1.4",
	"Modules":[
	{
	"Thread": "Servo",
	"Type": "Reset Pin",
		"Comment":			"Reset pin",
		"Pin":				"1.31"
	},
	{
	"Thread": "Base",
	"Type": "Stepgen",
		"Comment":			"X - Joint 0 step generator",
		"Joint Number":		0,
		"Step Pin": 		"2.2",
		"Direction Pin": 	"2.6",
		"Enable Pin": 		"2.1"
	},
	{
		"Comment":			"Y - Joint 1 step generator",
		"Joint Number":		1,
		"Step Pin": 		"0.19",
		"Direction Pin": 	"0.20",
		"Enable Pin": 		"2.08"
	},
	{
		"Comment":			"Z - Joint 2 step generator",
		"Joint Number":		2,
		"Step Pin": 		"0.22",
		"Direction Pin": 	"2.11",
		"Enable Pin": 		"0.21"
	}
	]
}

More
03 Jun 2021 05:17 #211056 by Cncninja
Well, i got it but I'm not sure what 2 things made it work, I was transferring the config.txt and firmware.bin out of frustration copied everything over from the firmware folder to include the mbed os5 folder. and now it sees it and pulls out of estop. so it needed the mbed fold or it was the re-coping the txt and bin.... not sure now i need to go back a do a freash reload as i def have some things out of sorts then start working on a HAL for a milling version of the skr1.4 i.e M3 to use heat bed output fans outs for flood etc.

thanks

More
03 Jun 2021 10:55 #211083 by scotta
Great to hear you have things up and "running". Arroncnc has his mill running with spindle control and feedback. Let me know an overview of how you would like your setup and we can help give some configuration guidance. Now that you have the bones working, the rest should be more straight forward.

BR
Scott

More
03 Jun 2021 17:21 #211095 by Doogie
it's just the firmware.bin and config.txt files but if using Windows to xfer you have to be particularly careful it does not create a config.txt.txt file instead.

More
12 Jun 2021 19:47 - 12 Jun 2021 20:24 #211884 by cakeslob
Ok, got some packages in the mail this week, so time to try some things out. If some assistance could be provided that would be helpful and appreciated, because this setup is new to me.
Trying to set up a small BLDC/encoder with driver for axis, using aarons config as reference. The encoder is 100ppr, 2 channels. Max Rpm is 3000-6000. Im getting a little confused reading through the 2 github threads, is 100ppr/2channels going to be too much?
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/issues/12
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/issues/13

The pinout

PWN - pwn, 0v is max rpm, 5v is 0rpm
RUN/BRAKE - i/o output
CW/CCW - i/o output
EN_A - encoder count
EN_B - encoder count

, so encoder config looks straight forward, but how do I do the control pins? Am I hooking up PWM to a servo pin and then RUN to x enable pin? How can I handle the cw/ccw output io?
Last edit: 12 Jun 2021 20:24 by cakeslob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doogie

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds