Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
13 Jan 2024 21:15 #290586 by cncmiljc
Could you help me configure the h743 with the lan8720? I have the threads working, but I'm not able to understand how the MPU_Config(void) is configured, if you could give me a path it would be of good help, I just need to understand the MPU because I don't think I know how to configure it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2024 21:18 #290587 by Lewis
Scott - Thanks for the response ! This is good to know - I think. I'm not super good with Linux but do have a buddy that is, so we might be able to figure it out. I have come across an installation description on your git that deals with LinuxCNC-On-Rpi but it looks like it's 4 years old so perhaps the information is dated. I will however have a read and try to not torment you with too many questions at this early stage. This looks like a fantastic development by the way. I've really managed to get myself wound up and excited about it all !
Cheers,
Lewis

More
17 Jan 2024 04:33 #290924 by cakeslob
holy shit the boards came out looking like those old DIY electronics educational kits

time to test
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 Jan 2024 15:13 #290958 by Lewis
This is awesome. I am keenly following this development as I have a tiny cnc milling/engraving machine I want to build and wanted to use it mainly as a learning tool with LinuxCNC and the cam workbench in FreeCad. I've been reading the Remora docs and trying to understand the process of installing Linux on an older Pi3B. Are the instructions (steps 1-9) in the" Deprecated instructions preserved for posterity" section still current or are there any steps I need to adjust / modify? I'm retired and a bit of a bumbler with Linux but can pick my way around. Thanks for this promising looking development and cheers from Canada.

More
18 Jan 2024 01:46 #290982 by cakeslob
Linuxcnc on the RaspberryPi has since evolved, and there became less of a need for Scott/Remora to maintain a linuxcnc build for the RPI. While Im sure the steps are fundamentally the same, the section is out of date, and I am questioning if we should remove the section entirely.

My personal opinion, is to look for a premade image, or the steps for it. I think theres a configuration setting in the RPI imager software where you can select RPI3, but I do not recall. There were a few threads from earlier this year that you may be able to find more current steps/references.

Not to try and pass the buck on this, but RPI builds/installs have fallen from the per view of the remora project, and now more of a linuxcnc standard thing. Have a look through this section of the forum, and you will probably get more help if you have questions regarding linuxcnc on the rpi3

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc

More
18 Jan 2024 22:40 #291068 by Lewis
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions ! I have been able to bring the Rpi3B back to life with the proper selection on the Raspberry OS software. They seem to have versions that go way back.

I guess the next step is to head over to the link you provided and start to dig to see if I can find any info / images there re: LinuxCNC installation.

As to the deletion of the outdated info on the Remora docs site, I think that perhaps a notice that the information is now out of date but the general steps remain the same (if they do remain the same). As a noob I did find these steps to be educational even if they did not get me the exact process to get Linuxcnc on the Pi3B.

Thanks again and I'll continue on with my searching and learning.
Cheers,
Lewis

More
19 Jan 2024 02:06 #291081 by cakeslob
I will always recommend using a premade image, because it is soooo much easier. Its not terribly difficult, especially if there are step by step. Instructions will be similar, but version numbers will probably be different. Also, I have found that no 2 guilds will be the same, so prepare for that.

Here is the thread about the RPI3 from earlier this year

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-rpi3-dietpi?start=0

More
19 Jan 2024 13:47 #291116 by Lewis
I'll have a read of that link once I get squared away with some coffee here. I came across another thread in the general section yesterday where a fellow made a slight modification to an older iso image (2.8.0) and got it to work on a Pi3B. It involved modifying the config-rt.txt file in the \boot section on the sd card post-etcher and pre-Pi3B boot. Figuring I needed a Linux machine to made this edit, I went off and installed a virtual box, along with xubuntu (which seemed to take forever). I then began to dig for how to "see" the sdcard in Linux, but before I did that I discovered that the \boot section on the sdcard is accessible by windows and I could easily see and mod the config-rt.txt file with someting like notepad++. That's as far as I got.

Here's the thread where I came across this approach -
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...aspberry-pi-3#228816

More
20 Jan 2024 02:11 #291159 by cakeslob
lol yeah, thats one of the good parts about it. but yeah, I would do that. Try to see if you can use the expatria image, linked in the docs

Good news, stepper board moves motors and didnt blow up
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Jan 2024 19:20 #291216 by Lewis
No luck with that approach of modifying the config-rt.txt file before booting the pi3. It just sat there with the green led blinking 7 times, pausing and then repeating. The screen was a rainbow / multicolor thing.

I will take a look at the expatria image but I seem to recall that's for the Pi4 and being newer there's probably not a hope that the adjustment of the config-rt.txt would work on it if so.

I was going to re-flash the sd card and now my Etcher program is tossing errors when I go to select the drive. Can't seem to get anywhere today !

Looking forward to more updates on your new boards.

Time to create page: 1.669 seconds