Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
05 Oct 2023 21:55 #282405 by cncmiljc
Thank you for your efforts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2023 22:16 #282408 by scotta

Following my resent failures this is what I've done and where I am at now:

- Flashed the NVEM with the Remora firmware
- Installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy), so Buster 32 bit
- Installed xrdp to enable Remote Desktop
- Followed the guide to install LinuxCNC at remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sof...nc-installation.html, but since I had issues with the Pi not booting after installing the realtime kernel, I instead installed 5.15.65-rt49 according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi.
- Installed the Remora NVEM component
- Followed Scott's videos to configure ethernet
- Flashed the basic config to the NVEM

- I am able to ping the NVEM at 10.10.10.10
- I am able to start LinuxCNC and get out of emergency stop
- I am not able to request movement. If I do, I get "joint [0-2] following error"

I really wan't to move on and reinstall the NVEM in my CNC and continue with configuring LinuxCNC, but I'm stuck with this error.
Scott, help!

Hi, I've just put the STM32 NVEM back on the bench to retest. I could simulate your error when using the remora-eth component. With the latest firmware

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/blo...NVEM-STM32-1.0.0.bin

And this config

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...es/remora-nvem-basic

Everything is ok.

A full chip erase can be performed in the ST-Link Utility.

More
06 Oct 2023 21:46 #282472 by rbobey1989
Hello everyone, I have gotten an encoder with a pin index, but hehehe, it is a PNP output and I cannot find a way to make an inversion through any hardware in the RT1052 since the inputs of the ec500 are for connecting NPN outputs, I have put some PNP collector pulldown resistors to ground but it reverses the input logic... Any ideas

More
07 Oct 2023 02:09 #282486 by cakeslob
Yeah boby that makes it hard since its an encoder. Perhaps
Invert it in firmware?

Hi Cakeslob, 

Thanks for the start on the Ethernet docs, your right we've got more than the NVEM boards, the PicoBOB-DLX uses the same LinuxCNC components. Can you submit a pull request and I'll work in parallel with you. 

Thanks!

Ok cool. I will have to do it when i return home, github mobile is almost useless

More
07 Oct 2023 05:13 #282487 by GeramyL

Yeah boby that makes it hard since its an encoder. Perhaps
Invert it in firmware?

Hi Cakeslob, 

Thanks for the start on the Ethernet docs, your right we've got more than the NVEM boards, the PicoBOB-DLX uses the same LinuxCNC components. Can you submit a pull request and I'll work in parallel with you. 

Thanks!

Ok cool. I will have to do it when i return home, github mobile is almost useless

Actually if its a input pin you should be able to use the "Invert" string on the pin, unless that wasn't in the QEI module originally.
Probably best to implement pin mode I would think.

More
07 Oct 2023 05:17 #282488 by GeramyL
scotta I did some testing, I do have 2.54mm movement if I keep moving the same direction it looks like. Still some directional movement problems but also looked it up and it can possibly be from not building up enough current for the movement in the next direction. Not sure how much I believe that though since there is very little friction and no active force pushing on the motor during the indicator calibration routine, but its looking dang good physically, the new DMA Step Gen. I made one last change and did a pull request it should take care of a very rare use case as explained in the github issue and possibly fix any other luming problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotta

More
07 Oct 2023 12:25 - 07 Oct 2023 17:53 #282497 by rbobey1989
ok, after a lot of fighting I have agreed to carry out tests with sim_ecnoder(hal) => remora_output_pins => qdc => linuxcnc(hal), I have to say that it looks good, as expected Scott was right we should pass POSH in the index detection, Scott, I have been looking at your PRUEncoder module. In the case of an encoder with an index pin, should we pass index signal in addition to the encoder count?
Last edit: 07 Oct 2023 17:53 by rbobey1989.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds