Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
12 Mar 2024 00:00 - 30 Mar 2024 01:40 #295702 by Cold Turkey
Hey

I will try and help because it looks as though nobody may have any experience with CubeIDE (myself included)

I have been focusing on using the latest linuxcnc installer release (2.9) on PC hardware and have so far got every debug probe I can get my hands on working with it.

I am finalising the entire install process (using pc hardware) including getting wifi working and installing ProbeBasic. I haven't finished it yet but here is my first draft and it has worked for me 100% of the time. I haven't had the time yet but you could try and test this with the Live Installer if you didn't have spare pc hardware to install on and see if it works also.

Flashing and getting remora running are steps 6, 7, 8 and 9

If anyone does try this and have or notice errors please let me know so I can test or rewrite it. If you test on different hardware and have success please let me know so I can include it. If you have issues let me know and I will try and help but I am very busy and a beginer myself so don't expect fast miracles.

Cheers.

### FLASHING REMORA GUIDE ###
WORKS WITH STANDARD UNMODIFIED STLINK

CLICK THE SPOILER
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 30 Mar 2024 01:40 by Cold Turkey. Reason: Make the guide more obvious
The following user(s) said Thank You: cakeslob, vpomerleau, peterling, vladyslav0000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2024 09:18 - 12 Mar 2024 09:30 #295725 by vpomerleau
Hi Cold Turkey
I saw in previous post you have done full chip erase with pyocd, when I tried this I get a no ACK error , did you put jumper on the boot pin or else , can you share your procedure for full chip erase, I was only able to do it in mcuexpresso. I also put bad config in it. Thank you very much for the tutorial for flashing it from linux computer, i'm gonna give it a try.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2024 09:30 by vpomerleau.

More
12 Mar 2024 10:28 - 12 Mar 2024 10:29 #295731 by Cold Turkey
The only time I've had the no ACK error was due to a bad debug probe. You can test this by unplugging the probe and running the command, you should get a message like "searching for debug probe" or something. Then plug the probe in when it is not connected to the EC500. If you get that error then chances are the probe is stuffed.

From memory in Pyocd to erase the chip run the following:

pyocd erase --chip --target mimxrt1050_quadspi

If you have another probe but it isn't recognised by pyocd then look through my previous post. There is a step to get it working.

P.S. No, I didn't use a jumper
Last edit: 12 Mar 2024 10:29 by Cold Turkey.

More
12 Mar 2024 10:33 #295732 by vpomerleau
Thank you, maybe my STlink is bad, my probe is recognized because I'm able to flash. I think I will continue doing it with mcuexpresso. I was just wondering if you make something special before erasing

More
12 Mar 2024 10:38 #295733 by Cold Turkey
Nothing special, connected as usual. Just erase and then firmware reflash.

I had the ACK error show up on a modified STlink after having used it multiple times within the previous hour, went back to a standard ST and had no further issues.

You can try leaving the STlink and EC500 depowered for a while. I came back the day after I had the issue and got it to flash once more before the error came back again.

More
12 Mar 2024 10:49 #295734 by vpomerleau
Where you able to flash on rt1052 with standard STlink? Mine is modified to CMSIS-DAP firmware, maybe I can use my unmodified one just for erasing, I'm gonna try. Thanks again

More
12 Mar 2024 10:54 #295735 by Cold Turkey
Yeah man, Standard STlink works fine using the method I posted.

The biggest issue I found with linux and pyocd is that it doesn't give permission for pyocd to access the usb device. There is a step in my post to allow this. It may work with versions of linux outside of the linuxcnc distro

I focused on getting it working using the linuxcnc install because I figured it's what the majority of us would be using and it's nice to make everything work using just one computer. Good luck.

More
12 Mar 2024 14:48 #295750 by tuxcnc

I focused on getting it working using the linuxcnc install because I figured it's what the majority of us would be using and it's nice to make everything work using just one computer. Good luck.

There is no reason to use Linuxcnc installation for anything except drive the CNC machine.
There are many Linux distros better suitable for programming microcontrollers.
You can install many OS on one computer, and use this, that is better for you do at the moment.
Notice, many tools (especially python based) are version sensitive and can works only with specific distro.

More
12 Mar 2024 18:49 #295771 by vpomerleau
Just an idea, is there a way we can flash our boards using the same method they use. When I bricked my stm32 version in mach3, they sent me an utility to flash the board back to original, is there a way to make it work for remora? I attached the utility
Attachments:

More
12 Mar 2024 20:35 #295785 by Cold Turkey

There are many Linux distros better suitable for programming microcontrollers.
You can install many OS on one computer, and use this, that is better for you do at the moment.
Notice, many tools (especially python based) are version sensitive and can works only with specific distro.

And yet there are still heaps of people in this thread struggling with flashing Remora to the board and no clear start to finish documentation that works 100% of the time. A lot of people don't want more than one operating system on their computer, especially if they are only going to use it once for this job only. Why learn about more distros of linux when we can just use linuxcnc since that is what we have already and it also works?

If there is a better way of doing it and since you obviously have more experience than I do, how about you contribute and write a guide to help all the people having issues?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Murphy

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds