Debian 11 RTOS on Beckhoff CX2030

More
22 Oct 2022 15:33 #254762 by MRBaird
Hello,

I am trying to get LinuxCNC 2.9 running on Debian 11.  I downloaded an ISO from Grotius.  Its the second ISO of his that i have used the first being a 4.19 version with EtherCAT master installed.  My problem is that I need to load two modules to Linux but the instructions on github.beckhoff/ page are not working.

### Linux Kernel 5.8 and BBAPI
Since Linux Kernel 5.8 it is not possible to dynamically load a Kernel module which allocates executable memory.
Therefore the BBAPI doesn't work as a loadable Kernel module anymore.
If you want to use it with Kernel Version>=5.8 you need to compile your own kernel and statically compile the BBAPI into your kernel.

I don't know how to do this.  The other module is CCAT.  and same thing the instructions say

## How to build and install the kernel modules:

1. cd into ccat <src_dir>
2. make && make install

But it doesn't work.  any help would be great.  I am not a Linux guy but can follow instructions.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2022 16:42 #254771 by tommylight

But it doesn't work.  any help would be great. 

How can we help you with that?
Post the error, screenshot, whatever that can help us help you.

More
22 Oct 2022 18:24 #254786 by MRBaird
My hope was someone could point me in the direction of compiling a kernal.  or maybe i could us DKMS.  I dont know how to proceed.  I am not a linux expert. all i do know is that  "make" is not working it has errors
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2022 20:02 - 22 Oct 2022 20:12 #254796 by CORBETT
Can you point me to the 2nd ISO you got from GROTIUS.  I have a few SSD's with his ISO on it and wanted to see if this is a different version than what I have.

If it is over a year old, then the I don't think his ISO's will work any more.  I was going to burn an ISO of some of my builds, but he did it totally different than what I planned and he setup a nice fully working system.  His used a script to build everything and his script should fail at the mercurial part.  Grotius put a lot of work into his ISO and sad that mercurial migrated.   But he may have re-worked the script and I could have missed it.

I always wanted one of those Beckhoff IPC's.  I just never pulled the trigger and picked up one.  How do you like the CX2030?

*EDIT*
Kernel modules can be a pain, I remember having problems years ago with getting to a certain point in the EtherCAT build and it would not load the modules.  I remember doing a lot of reading and a lot of work to get it figured out, but I don't remember ever having to do it with Buster 10 (I know you're doing 11).  I had one setup that it ended up being an incorrect proc for the motherboard and therefore the kernel modules would not load (I had built it from parts and just stuck a working cpu in that I had, so that was my fault).  But I had this issue more than once years ago.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2022 20:12 by CORBETT.

More
22 Oct 2022 22:02 #254803 by MRBaird
The CX2030 is great it was from an old piece of equipment at work. The ISO was from this post forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42057-lin...md64-download#203902 I have manged to start fresh from Debian 5.10.0-rt-amd64. I have got CCAT (the internal FPGA card that runs the attached etherCAT modules) working. i needed to copy the system.map to usr/src/linuxheader and change the name to system.map for CCAT to install. BBAPI seems like i will have to build it into the kernal. the BBAPI does things like buttons on the front of the PC and the display. I can live with out that for now.
I did have everthing working on Buster but wanted to move to probe basic so i figured jump in with both feet. i still have another hard drive with a working 2.8 LinuxCNC
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT

More
23 Oct 2022 02:13 #254818 by tommylight
Not even nearly sure, but it looks like not the same architecture.
Are you sure or is there any possibility of downloading the wrong architecture?
Most probably should be AMD64, not x86.

More
23 Oct 2022 17:46 #254866 by MRBaird
Well I have an update.  I retried the Grotius ISO just did some apt update - apt upgrade.  Copied the  /boot/System.map-5.10.0-5-rt-amd64 to /usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.0-5-rt-amd64/System.map.  CCAT installed.  Well BBAPI did not go as well.  I have a screenshot of the new test.
Attachments:

More
26 Oct 2022 03:23 #255073 by CORBETT
Mike,

I looked up where it is monitored on Etherlab and there is a chance the BBAPI is not going to work at the moment.  I don't know this for a fact but happen to see it failed all the way across for the different architectures.  Have a look at this link

Show science:EtherLab - openSUSE Build Service

Was working on something else and happen to see the BBAPI at the top of the list and remembered you were trying to get it working.

Robert

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds