Will Raspberry Pi4 work with Mesa 7i80HD via Ethernet

More
23 Mar 2023 15:53 #267367 by Vader

I'm new to all this.
I've seen the linuxcnc rpi4 utube but the pcbs are no longer for sale, I've sent Chris an email and I'm waiting for response.
So.... will the Mesa 7i80HD work via Ethernet.... there aren't many options available.

I'm building a 4 or 5 axis milling machine, I haven't decided which yet due to parts availability, I'd really like a stand alone system.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2023 00:57 #267389 by tommylight

Yes, for sure, but then again RPI's have issues with versions and ...
And i would go with Mesa 7i96S instead, easier to wire and use, can also be extended exponentially with pretty much everything you might need later.

More
24 Mar 2023 01:24 #267392 by Vader
Yes, for sure, but then again RPI's have issues with versions and ..

I'm new to ask this,  I've never used pi before,  it has issues with versions?
And what else?

Tween chips not being available and a really steep learning curve,  it's all so overwhelming.

Thanks for the tip on the 7i96S, hopefully I'll get my head around it all before it sells out....  I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

More
24 Mar 2023 10:32 #267403 by tommylight
Start with Mesa 7i96S and a used PC.
Evenused PC might have issues, but they are cheaper.

More
04 Apr 2023 12:00 #268256 by Vader
I need to learn Pi and Linux at some point anyway as I'm going to mashed a DIY Autopilot for my sailboat as well.
I read somewhere that Linux cnc will not work on an 8gb pi, is that right? Something about it limiting even the 4gb pi to 3gb because of the WiFi etc. Or has Linux cnc been changed since that info was written?

More
04 Apr 2023 12:19 #268258 by Vader
Will a raspberry pi400 work? I read that they are just a modified rpi 4 with a cooking fan....

More
04 Apr 2023 12:24 #268259 by tommylight
As far as i recal, LinuxCNC works with RPI 2, 4 and 8GB, the issue is with RPI, not with LinuxCNC.
There was apost here and a link to a video on youtube about RPI4 having to many versions, and some versions not working even with the official ISO/IMG.
As for learning RPI, no idea how that came to be, but there is no difference between it and a normal PC, i use laptops for all my 3D printers while the internet insists on using RPI!
The main difference is, RPI tutorials are still pretty bad, so takes more time and effort to sift through them to get the results you are after.
Also, 180$ for a 2 or 4GB version?
Oh hell no, you can get 2 or 3 used PC's for that price and they will be much faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

More
04 Apr 2023 12:29 #268260 by tommylight

Will a raspberry pi400 work? I read that they are just a modified rpi 4 with a cooking fan....

I think Andy had one, so might want to wait for him to reply.
This i did want to get one to play with, still way to expensive.

More
04 Apr 2023 16:45 #268272 by royka
The 4gb limit was because of the use of a 32bit OS, the remaining 4gb is also shared with the GPU. With a 64bit OS you won't have that problem.

But like tommylight says it's not worth the money for that purpose. I did try to install it on a rpi4, it does work, but way too slow to enjoy it, so decided to not use it. A 10 years old pc I had was way faster (core2quad 9400) not comparable with each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Apr 2023 16:53 #268275 by Vader
I do really appreciate everyone's input, I have so much to learn. Sorry for all the typos, my phone is possessed.
More reasons I'd like to do a pi project are: I've never done one, I'm doing my first arduino project and pi next seems like a good progression. I've built a few PCs and Pi and Arduino is all new and exciting. Another reason is that I live on a sailboat so space is an issue. I'm also looking at tiny PCs just to keep my options open, but I'd like to do a Pi ;)

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds