apply rt_patch again for cloned SO

More
18 Apr 2023 06:03 #269353 by bkt
Hi at all,

never do these .... when clone ssd for change pc we choose same chipset and same CPU, so realtime patch and their "options" have the right end. But now I've some problem to choose a new pc ... so I would try to install to a different chipset and cpu (more recent, mine is 4th series of intel ;) ) .... problem if clone my ssd and install to new pc option of patch is not applicable on new cpu .... so need to run again patch application .... there are a way to do or need to install patch again? ..... 

best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2023 07:28 #269358 by rodw
My understanding is that if you stick to the same platform eg amd64, the kernel should still work.
But it does not really take that long to install from scratch. Here is my latest instructions on how to install Debian Bookworm
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...1x7oiw8VcLFdiY/edit#
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt, besriworld, scotth

More
18 Apr 2023 11:05 #269367 by royka
You would only need the rt patches if you're planning to compile the kernel source code yourself. The preempt rt patch set contains patches for all architectures. I guess you did install an already patched kernel before. Like rodw said, this should also work with a newer cpu of the same architecture.
It's more likely it doesn't work because of a bios setting UEFI/legacy or ide/ahci. Or you need to reinstall the bootloader (GRUB).

If you can't find the root of the problem it's probably faster to backup your config files and do a clean install following rodw's instructions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
18 Apr 2023 18:14 #269381 by bkt
Thanks a lot .... a try to ... if have some problem think for first try to install ubuntu 22.04 or linux mint 20 and all i need again .... my version is mint 19.3 with patch rt-4.13 ... some new features is impossible to have (like QT6 or c++ 20 ... or other than would use in near future) .... so think I start again .... hope only find a right and large avaible architeture and cpu for next 5 year almost.

regards

More
18 Apr 2023 18:45 #269382 by scotth
Installed 6.3 on Mint21.1 moving from 6.1. Running stability test now and all is looking good. It will be a few days for testing. Speed looks good, but 6.1 was not that bad.
It was a good time to learn Clonezilla and dupe my old system disk (coward).
The following user(s) said Thank You: bkt

More
19 Apr 2023 05:55 #269401 by bkt
I use normally clonezilla .... but moving from H110 chipset and old 4th series of I processor to 11th series and new chipset I was worried about rt_preemp patch .... In my patch cpu type need to be declared .... for example .... any how using clonezilla on my new minipc I have bad latency result .... so for test I installed debian.iso .... with real better result .... quite good really with latency of 32k with 8 glxgears ... these means that probabily rt_preempt can reach 45k latency result if fresh install ....

More
19 Apr 2023 06:00 #269402 by bkt
@rodw .... in your link talk about not need to install rt_patch because part of Lcnc? but is new features of 2.9? or only consequences of copy of debian.iso installation? ... I'm completely new in composition of .deb packages or similar .... I not know tree of dependencies etc etc ....

More
19 Apr 2023 08:08 #269410 by rodw
Yes, if you use Bookworm and install linuxcnc-uspace from the Debian repositories, the linux-image-rt  package is set as a dependency so it is installed  when you type apt install ......

More
01 May 2023 16:55 #270414 by bkt
bookworm is only debian SO right? not mint not ubuntu .... well understand?

More
02 May 2023 07:00 #270451 by rodw

bookworm is only debian SO right? not mint not ubuntu .... well understand?

Ubuntu want to charge for RT kernel.
I tried my Bookworm compiled kernel on Bullseye and it would not install.
debian is pretty easy to get everything working with good latency now 

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds