odroid h4/h4+

More
07 May 2024 17:31 #300053 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic odroid h4/h4+

5 ethernet ports would be perfect for mesa+ethercat+internet
or the version with 2 ethernet ports+1usb ethernet for mesa+ethercat+internet

Just keep in mind that the Netcard occupies the M.2 slot so NVME storage is not an option, only SATA and EMMC and I suppose USB but yick. Looks like they omit the SATA ports on the base H4 now which is off but I've always used EMMC chips with netcard builds anyway, for any machine use you wouldn't notice a speed difference pretty much at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2024 21:51 #300070 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic odroid h4/h4+

How'd you miss that? The netcard's been out for years, it just used to have 2.5g Realtek NICs. I've been using an H2 with netcard as an OpenWRT router for like 5 years.

Well, I never needed a small router before. :)
We print to devices on customer's networks from our servers. Currently we use a proprietory hub on the customer's network but its hard to do the required port mapping etc remotely. If we used somthing like pfsense and Tailscale, the devices on the router behind the customer's firewall would be published on our VPN and CUPS could print direct to the device with zero config. Its an interesting use case.

More
07 May 2024 22:18 #300072 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic odroid h4/h4+

How'd you miss that? The netcard's been out for years, it just used to have 2.5g Realtek NICs. I've been using an H2 with netcard as an OpenWRT router for like 5 years.

Well, I never needed a small router before. :)
We print to devices on customer's networks from our servers. Currently we use a proprietory hub on the customer's network but its hard to do the required port mapping etc remotely. If we used somthing like pfsense and Tailscale, the devices on the router behind the customer's firewall would be published on our VPN and CUPS could print direct to the device with zero config. Its an interesting use case.

Yeah I don't know about all that network stuff, I just needed a 2.5gb router to match my modem speed which at the time was hard to find and I don't like renting service provider equipment. Most of my network is 10gb but that's all on the LAN side through a separate switch.

I've actually got about 4 or 5 brand new Realtek Netcards in my stash. I was planning on using them with GigE machine vision cameras but I never got to that project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds