PCI parallel port on HP Elitedesk 800G1

More
19 Jun 2024 02:57 #303318 by garthnoakes
I see no output that is indicative of a parallel port issue - but lspci -v shows both ports are disabled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2024 08:24 - 19 Jun 2024 08:45 #303338 by cornholio
It's kinda hard to help if the output on commands are so secret you can't share.

Now just to be sure, are we talking PCI or PCIe.

Post here has info for enabling a port. Some info you'll have to change.
www.forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linu...-2-7?start=20#249662

I'd have a hunt around on the motherboard to see if there isn't a parallel port connector, maybe near the 1st PCIe slot. You may need a special cable, I did on my Lenovo M72e (a normal one didn't do it), to enable the parallel port & for it to show up in the BIOS.Yeah I know a bit of a rort but that's life.

Here's a link to one (if this indeed similar,if you need a full height bracket they're easy to swap over)
www.bargainhardware.co.uk/hp-611900-001-...-low-profile-bracket
Last edit: 19 Jun 2024 08:45 by cornholio.

More
02 Jul 2024 03:01 #304192 by garthnoakes
Thanks a lot! There was a connector labelled PAR on the motherboard - I used a generic cable and the BIOS didn't detect the port. Scratched around a bit and found that the HP cable connects pin 21 and 25 on the output side - I added a jumper across those - and voila! working 100%. Nothing else was needed to get it working with the latest linuxcnc version
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
02 Jul 2024 04:21 #304200 by cornholio
Fantastic, glad you found a solution.
If you could add a note in this topic it would be great
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...on-the-parallel-port

More
02 Jul 2024 14:53 #304246 by garthnoakes
I posted this into that topic.

I found a site that describes how to make a generic cable (not the expensive HP one) work. Plug the cable into the PAR connector on the motherboard. On the other end, remove the two nuts and slide the plastic sleeve back. The pins will be exposed. If you look carefully at the connector holes (magnifying glass...) you will see they are numbered. Join pin 21 and 25 using a jumper wire. That's it - the port will appear in the BIOS, but it should already be working with no other config needed
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, cornholio, GeckoWorks

Time to create page: 0.825 seconds