Tool offset patch

More
20 Sep 2012 16:57 #24487 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tool offset patch
He might have patched the 2.5 branch so it won't hurt to try.

git am --abort

git checkout -b v2.5_branch origin/v2.5_branch

git branch

then try and apply your patch.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2012 17:12 #24489 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Re:Tool offset patch
Question John,

In the actual patch, should it have the description in it, or should I delete all that stuff and just leave the code?

More
20 Sep 2012 18:26 #24491 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tool offset patch
Yes, there is some info at the top of the file that git uses when it does the patch. So you should not modify the patch.

John

More
05 Oct 2012 19:04 #24997 by LAIR82
Guys,

I was finally able to get that tool table patch applied to my machine and it is running, time to run some programs and see how she runs.

Thanks again for all the help.

More
29 Oct 2012 05:46 #25966 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Tool offset patch
So how did this patch fair?

More
29 Oct 2012 09:49 #25977 by LAIR82
Not to bad. We have found a couple of things that we would like to see changed but I have not been able to get ahold of the writer of the patch. They are,
1.Be able to enter the wear offset value in a diameter value instead of radius
2. Establish why after we load an nc program you can't open the tool table to make edits
3. Have the wear offset's be a seperate page/file from the geometry offsets all together.
4. Be able to have a tab on the display to open the wear offset page(I think this is probably feasible if using touchy or the gscreen displays)
5. Be able to make it an option in the INI to use this table not using it as a patch, selectable with a 0/1 type setup. Its good for us but this might not be the best for others.
All in all though we like it, and our operators can go from machine to machine in our shop and handle the tool related issues easily. We have Fagor, Fanuc, and Mazak controls and they all operate like this table.

More
29 Oct 2012 10:21 #25979 by cmorley
This is good to know. I too am interested in lathe style offsets.

#1 should be able to be fixed
#2 you should be able to open the tool table if the machine is on and not in auto mode, Are you trying to open it in auto mode?
it may be possible to edit in paused mode but I'm not sure ( this would be a limitation deeper inside linuxcnc )
#3 is a separate issue. the tool editor (say in AXIS) is a separate program. It would need to be changed for tabs or a new program made.
#4 same deal - need to change the GUI screen ( Gscreen has this now - I built a different tooleditor program)
#5 I was thought it was an INI option? The patch is because it is not been accepted yet (though that is why I am asking about it)

Chris M

More
29 Oct 2012 11:00 #25982 by cmorley
so I applied the patch and tried it in sim.

if I requested T02 in MDI it looks in the tool file for tool 10002.
That doesn't seem right.
What does your tool file look like?
Where are the wear offsets entered?

Chris M

More
29 Oct 2012 16:57 - 29 Oct 2012 16:58 #25987 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Tool offset patch

Not to bad. We have found a couple of things that we would like to see changed but I have not been able to get ahold of the writer of the patch.

I have discussdit in email with him, and have a few conclusions.

1.Be able to enter the wear offset value in a diameter value instead of radius

This seems like it might be complicated. Most of the time when editing the tool table the machine is idle. It is hard to figure out then whether G7 or G8 is active. As you know what you want to do, it might have to be an explicit choice on the part of the person making the edit.
You can already edit arithmetical statements in the touch-off dialog (I quite ofen enter things like 13/2+6 when I have touched off with a 6mm dowel and a 13mm tool). I don't know if this works in the tool editor.

2. Establish why after we load an nc program you can't open the tool table to make edits

This probably isn't anything to do with the patch, the patch didn't touch anything in that area of the code, and Daniel has demonstrated that the same thing happens without the patch. The patch is not to blame.

3. Have the wear offset's be a seperate page/file from the geometry offsets all together.

This might require changes that go too deep into the tool table format. Longer term the tool table is likely to become a proper database, so it will all be up for grabs then. However if the offsets are simply in higher tool number "slots" then perhaps changes to tooledit are all that is required. It already has configurable columns.

5. Be able to make it an option in the INI to use this table not using it as a patch, selectable with a 0/1 type setup.

I think this is already the case. If the INI file doesn't contain the line that turns on the patch, then you get the normal behaviour.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 16:58 by andypugh.

More
30 Oct 2012 02:29 #26007 by cmorley
.1 offsets in diameter mode - This could be done in the tooleditor program. as long as it saves it in the format linuxcnc expects then the tooleditor program can convert it by what ever setting the tooleditor program supplies.

2. Can't open tooleditor after loading a program - this is a bug in the current tooleditor program - if you use gedit it works fine though not nearly as convenient

3. separate page - again the tooleditor program is free to present the information anyway it likes as long as it saves it in the format linuxcnc expects.

4. a proper INI switch would be better then the current feature mask. The switch is easier for other programs to find and understand.

In you experience do yo ever wish to change the wear offset in the middle of a running program? eg pause the machine to check size, adjust offset, resume for finish cut? This is probably not possible at the moment.

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds