Tool offset patch

More
15 May 2013 06:53 #34105 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Tool offset patch

Hello Chris,

I have been following the thread on the developers mailing list, and realized that I might have been mis-leading on this all along. Sorry for any inconvenience.

A few things I am sure of on our end,

1. The first two digits of the tool call is the tool geometry info on our other machines, for the most part also refered to as "Fixed Offsets".
2. All of the machines in our shop that have other commercial controls on them, all have 2 different databases or tables, Fixed offsets, and Wear offsets. So as far as I can tell when the tool call is made, the first two digits gather info from the Fixed offset file, and the second two digits gather info from the Wear Offset file. Once the operators have all of there tools touched off they vary rarely reference the fixed tool data, due to using the G92 command they only need to touch off 1 tool on every new part, and everything else follows.

Thanks

Rick

Rick and all

I completely understand the concept of calling one tool with different offsets.
While the Okuma lathe I used at work did not have wear offsets it did have offsets.
I built a program to use this technique of two offsets with one tool - it worked great.

What the Okuma didn't have was an offset table on screen (there was no screen) and there was no G10 command available.

But what I observe from the sample tooltable you posted ( Rick ) is tool numbers in 10000 range with little or no offset (so would be wear) and low tool numbers with large offsets (so would be geometry). This is backwards.

I have now confirmed that the patch uses the numbering system it does for a good reason (it follows Fanuc) so I will not change it.
There still seems to be a bug or two to work out - that I may or may not have caused in my version.

When I add the patch to master, I will then work on changing the toooffset widget to display wear offsets separately, maybe on a separate tab.

Thanks for your help and info so far.

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2013 01:35 #34142 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Re:Tool offset patch
I don't know if this helps or not.

This morning I did the following,

1. Created a completely blank .tbl file (blanktool.tbl) and changed to that one in my INI.
2. Started up Gscreen, homed machine, jog away from homing position to middle of x and z travel.
3. Opened tooledit, and added a tool, tool 1 in pocket 1, with no data in any other field for tool 1.
4. Went to MDI, performed a tool call T01, fault appeared " Requested tool 10001 not found in tool table".
5. Went back to tooleditor, added tool, tool 10001 in pocket 30, with no other data.
6. Did MDI command of T0101, fault appeared, " Requested tool 10001 not found in tool table".
7. Back to tooleditor, entered a 0 in the x and z, hit apply.
8. Did MDI command of T0101, tool changed to tool 1
9. Touched off tool in the x and z using G92 z0.000 and a nominal G92 x1.000
10. Created tool 2 in pocket 2, offset 10002 in pocket 31.
11. Did MDI command of T0202, tool changed to tool 2
12. Touched off tool in the x and z using Tool Setting button, z0.000, and then x 1.000.
13. Went to tool editor, and tool 1 pocket 1 had zeros in the x and z values, tool 2 pocket 2 had numerical values in its x and z value fields.
14. All of this done with zeros in my 10001, and 10002 value fields.

Thanks

Rick

More
16 May 2013 09:30 #34169 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Tool offset patch
I see a problem.
Fanuc says the geometry offsets go under T1000n
using the toolsetting button applies the geometry offsets to Tn not T1000n

So either I need to add code to fix the toolsetting button or we need to switch the patch to put geometry offsets under Tn rather then T1000n

By te way, do you guys ever use G10 L10 P100n command to set wear offsets in G code? Seems an odd thing to do.
Chris M

More
16 May 2013 09:42 #34170 by LAIR82
That's why I got confused and went thru all of the motions the other day to see exactly what was going on with the geometry and wear offsets. I don't understand why when you do Txx it doesn't change tool and use no offset though.

Talking with the guys, they have never done the G10 command to set offsets. They have always put them in to the Wear offset tables manually, then call them up with Txxnn. This is usually because they are fine tuning the tool itself to account for the many variables in cutting parts.

Thanks

Rick

More
17 May 2013 12:30 #34223 by DaOne
Replied by DaOne on topic Re:Tool offset patch
LAIR82,

Any chance I can get you to give a step by step of what you did to install this Fanuc style tool change patch? I am a new user to LinucCNC (coming from Mach3) I have managed to come a long way on my own (got everything working including upgrading to the master version so I can play with Gscreen). I for the life of me can not figure out how to apply this patch and coming from using Haas lathes its a must have. I have Git installed and have ran the git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev command successfully. After that I am lost. I want to keep the master version (2.6 pre) and use this patch. I hope you can help?

-Wes

More
17 May 2013 18:35 - 17 May 2013 18:35 #34234 by LAIR82
Hello Wes,

This should summarize it, there has been alot of discussion lately on this though, and Cmorley is in the works of giving it a tune-up, and hopefully pushing it to master, so t will just be a switch in your INI file, but here you go.

1. Download the following attachment,
2. Go to your Home folder, and move the folder you downloaded to the linuxcnc-dev folder that you created.
3. Open up your linuxcnc-dev folder, right click on the downloaded zipped folder, and click "Extract here"
4. After you have extracted the file, open a terminal window, and change to the linuxcnc-dev directory.
5. Once there, I would perform the "ls" command and make sure you see the .patch file listed.
6. If you see the patch file, then from the command line perform "git am --signoff lathe_style_tool_change2.patch" This will apply it to the appropriate files in he src folders. You will probably see an error for "trailing whitespace" disregard, I get the fault but the patch is applied and will work.
7. Now you need to re-compile, after compiling, it should be there and work properly.

Let me know if you get hung-up, I should be able to help

Thanks

Rick
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 May 2013 18:35 by LAIR82. Reason: added zip file

More
18 May 2013 01:10 #34260 by DaOne
Ok, I think where I am having problems is the re-compile. Not sure exactly what I am doing. Gonna have to read more. I got all the way to step 6 on my own before I asked. The "trailing whitespace" error did come up and i thought I did something wrong.

More
18 May 2013 02:27 #34271 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tool offset patch
The trailing whitespace warning can be ignored.

JT

More
18 May 2013 02:29 #34272 by DaOne
BigJohnT,

Can you describe step by step how I do this... "7. Now you need to re-compile, after compiling, it should be there and work properly."?

Thanks for all the help guys!

More
18 May 2013 02:44 - 18 May 2013 02:57 #34275 by jlviloria
Replied by jlviloria on topic Re:Tool offset patch
Rick.

There's something wrong here, apply this patch but it does not work, I thought I had done wrong the process, but apply it manually. and feel the same, does not really apply changes nothing.

This version corrects the error removes deleted from the table?

regards

Jorge Viloria
Last edit: 18 May 2013 02:57 by jlviloria.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds