Touchscreen operation with iPad possible?

More
03 Apr 2012 21:59 #18951 by careyer
Hi there,

I LOVE working with Axis but sometimes pushing all those sliders back and forth is a pain in the a** =)
Would it be possible to write some kind of "remote control" software for e.g. iPad which connects to LinuxCNC via WLAN?

The iPad could just be used as a frontend and show the basic operations and sliders.
It could be so very easy and comfortable to work this way.

Anyone sees a chance to implement this?
Best regards!

careyer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2012 23:27 - 03 Apr 2012 23:31 #18952 by BigJohnT
I have 3.25 machines using LinuxCNC and I can't remember when I used a slider... seems like almost anything is possible but you wonder why no one has done it.

John
Last edit: 03 Apr 2012 23:31 by BigJohnT.

More
03 Apr 2012 23:39 #18953 by careyer
Well..

on the left side of the screen there are several sliders in the Axis interface. e.g. for maximum machine speed, spindle overdrive, axis speed and so on.....
My idea was to have all those controlls on a portable touch screen device such as an Ipad or android tablet.
=)

best regards
Thomas

More
04 Apr 2012 00:02 #18955 by BigJohnT
I have some machines with that as knobs built into the machine but I can't imagine having something loose to do those functions... but what do I know? Give it a shot and see what happens.

John

More
04 Apr 2012 01:29 #18956 by arch dude
I've been thinking along the same lines. I want to use an Android device (phone or Kindle) as a jog pendant, with virtual knobs.

More
04 Apr 2012 10:13 - 04 Apr 2012 10:21 #18962 by Rick G

I LOVE working with Axis but sometimes pushing all those sliders back and forth is a pain in the a** =)

Not as high tech but you can pick up those functions with a usb device such as a joypad, I use mine on larger machines with a 6 ' extension.

I also thought that a small 7" ? touch screen monitor might be neat with a custom gui.

Rick G
Last edit: 04 Apr 2012 10:21 by Rick G.

More
04 Apr 2012 15:20 #18968 by careyer
Here is a little sketch of what I mean =)

I think that would be really nice. I've got the idea but unfortunatly I am mising the programming skills.
But probably one of the developers likes the idea?

Best regards
Thomas

More
04 Apr 2012 16:08 - 04 Apr 2012 16:12 #18971 by BigJohnT
I think you might have to brush up on your programming skills... I don't think the developers even have a mouse!

John
Last edit: 04 Apr 2012 16:12 by BigJohnT.

More
04 Apr 2012 17:51 #18977 by arch dude
The point here is that an iPad, iPhone, Kindle fire, or Android phone are all touch screen devices already: you do not need to purchase another device. Interestingly, an Android phone that is no longer in use as a phine (no simm card) is still usable as a WIFI device, so if you have upgraded to a new fancy phone, your old phone is a free resource. You almost certaily will want to use a dedicated WIFI hotspot and the proper security to prevent accidental or deliberate hijacking of you CNC machine.

More
05 Apr 2012 14:53 #18990 by rene
It should be possible when you create a custom gladevcp panel and control this panel over remote desktop with your ipad
Ipad apps are Moccavnc, realvnc

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds