Rotary Axis setup in LInux Axis

More
28 Jan 2014 23:57 #43278 by rmattioda
I am looking for information on setting up the 4th axis which would be for a rotary axis on a Probotix Meteor.
This system is using all 4 axis's due to the fact that it has 2 steppers for the Y axis, but on the Linux Screen it of course shows the X,Y and Z.
I am also using Vcarve to create the Gcode for the file,
Here are my questions:
1. What Post processor in Vcarve should be used?
2. What changed to the INI file need to be added
3. What additional changes to Linus CNC need to be made
4. Does anyone have any screen shots, videos of what the screens should look like with the design opened?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2014 19:46 #43293 by ArcEye
Hi

You are going to have to show us what your current setup is.
I am just assuming that you have an A axis which shadows the Y axis and is the second Y stepper
(zip your whole config folder and attach it)

1. What Post processor in Vcarve should be used?

There are none listed in the wiki, will all depend what VCarve outputs, as to whether one of the others can be simply used or altered to fit the bill
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam_Post

Crucially you need to know what VCarve will output for the rotary axis
Can you select which axis it uses? Or will it only output moves for the A axis, meaning you will have to use the B axis as your second Y axis, or convert all gcode to swap the axis letters

2. What changed to the INI file need to be added
3. What additional changes to Linus CNC need to be made

The extra axis needs to be added with appropriate settings, the hal file too needs the stepgen, parport connections etc for that axis added

Have a look at the stepper-gantry config, which I assume your current config is based upon.
Then look at the stepper-xyza config which shows the setup where a A axis is added to a mill type XYZ config
Yours will need to be a meld of the two basically

There is no stepconf option for this, you will need to alter by hand, so you need to become familiar with what is in your current config and what other configs which have your desired features, have that is different

If using an installed system, /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs is where to start looking

regards

More
30 Jan 2014 00:34 #43297 by rmattioda
I will upload later today, but after e-mailing Vectric, they are telling me that they do not make a wrap around type post processor.

there has got to be a way that this will work?

More
30 Jan 2014 00:48 - 30 Jan 2014 00:49 #43298 by cncbasher
take a look here
www.222artisans.com/Rotary/RotaryYaxis.html

are you looking at turning , or engraving on the wrapped surface ?

Last edit: 30 Jan 2014 00:49 by cncbasher.

More
30 Jan 2014 00:58 #43299 by ArcEye
use your google fu

It does not matter what Ventric produce, there are lots out there, including for Mach 3 and Fanuc, which won't be a million miles out
www.cnczone.com/forums/post_processors/

It all depends what VCarve outputs, if it is basically RS274 gcode that should not be a problem, but AFAIK it is a windoze only program and I certainly have never used it.

If you are looking for something that will produce code without your having to learn anything about gcode, that is more problematic

More
30 Jan 2014 01:10 #43300 by rmattioda
wrapped surfaces CNC basher

More
30 Jan 2014 01:14 #43301 by rmattioda
Arc Eye,

you are saying give the Mach 3 file a try? one question it saves in txt format, do you just change the extension to .nc?

More
30 Jan 2014 02:16 #43304 by cncbasher
you can either change the post processor file to output with .nc or you could just rename the gcode file , or even add .txt to your linuxcnc ini file
the vetric post processor files are simple txt files and can be edited to suit your requirements . the 3 axis ones in the wiki here are slightly modified to suit more closely linuxcnc
Mach3 or fanuc postprocessors are as close as you will get to linuxcnc , depending mostly on codes used , but again this can be edited or modified to suit if any particular gcodes you need , and are not covered

just make sure that any gcode files produced are with linux line endings and not Dos line endings as this would give you problems later on

More
30 Jan 2014 02:29 #43305 by rmattioda
cnc basher,

bear with me I am a newbie, do I did try the Mach 3 file and changed the extension, when opening it would not work, I am assuming that it is because of the DOS endings instead of the Linux types.

do you have Vcarve to show an example?

More
30 Jan 2014 02:30 #43306 by rmattioda
Arc eye,

I have uploaded the files you requested of the linux setup I am currently using
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds