Added A axis to XYZ mill, what can be done in AXIS?

More
16 Jul 2018 11:45 #114288 by l2-max

Axis doesn't actually know where the centre of rotation is, so the preview just assumes that it is at X=0, Y=0, Z=0.
We have discussed ways that the preview could "know" where the rotation axis was, but nothing came of it.

Did I got you right, that in 2.7.x version AXIS assumes that center of rotation is at home point and there is no way to tell AXIS any other rotation point for the now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2018 12:14 #114290 by andypugh

Did I got you right, that in 2.7.x version AXIS assumes that center of rotation is at home point and there is no way to tell AXIS any other rotation point for the now?

Yes, that is correct.

Out if interest, if there was a way to tell Axis where the rotation axis was, what method would you expect to use?

More
16 Jul 2018 13:05 #114297 by l2-max
I would expect it to be at least separated from machine HOME location first. E.g. additional parameter(s) in ini file to set up absolute or relative to HOME location coordinates of each rotational axis mounted onto machine table.

It also would be good to have similar to "Touch off" button, e.g. "Touch of work peace", "Touch off work table" or "Touch off rotary" if AXIS configured with at least one ANGULAR axis mounted onto machine table. Then work process would be next:

1. Run LinuxCNC;
2. "On" button;
3. "Home all";
4. Move tool to rotation axis and "Touch off work table";
5. "Touch off" if stock zero is the same as rotational zero

P.S. As far as I know, Mach3 always assume rotary axis is on the same plane as tool ZERO thus every "touch off" in Mach3 moves rotary plane to Tool ZERO location.

More
16 Jul 2018 14:18 #114301 by andypugh
I think that LinuxCNC does the same as Mach in this regard, it uses relative zero, not absolute zero.

Touching-off actually calls G-code (G10) and there aren't any G-codes to set the axis position (it might be different in STEP-NC) but that doesn't mean that the user-interface can't do something different when a button is pressed.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds