Axis problem

More
21 May 2021 18:00 #209771 by vedatech
Axis problem was created by vedatech
I have a new 2.9.0-pre cloned on 5/7/21 running AXIS on Ubuntu 18.04 with the 5.0.21-rt16 kernel. I am running a port test similar to the one described in the manual to check my 6i25 gpio pins but I'm having a problem getting it to work in axis.
The .ini file contains:
[DISPLAY]
DISPLAY = axis
PYVCP = port_test.xml
[HAL]
POSTGUI_HALFILE = postgui.hal

This fails with the message: Pin 'port_test.btn-00' does not exist (Its in the .xml file)

Putting 'loadusr -Wn port_test pyvcp -c port_test port_test.xml' in the .hal file puts the buttons in both axis and a floating panel - but only the floating buttons work.
Commenting out the .ini lines gives a working floating panel also.
I can use the floating panel for now but I would like to add controls to axis later.
Any ideas about why this is happening?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2021 19:03 #209778 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Axis problem
Without the files, we can only guess.
If you ommit the postgui file entry, does the panel show in AXIS?
I'd carefully check the spelling of the pin.

More
21 May 2021 19:46 #209789 by vedatech
Replied by vedatech on topic Axis problem
I'm attaching the port_test.xml and postgui.hal files which work stand alone but not in axis.
Attachments:

More
21 May 2021 20:42 #209799 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Axis problem
This fails with the message: Pin 'port_test.btn-00' does not exist (Its in the .xml file)

port_test.btn00

Notice the spelling.

i don't know if your copy of the error message is accurate but please confirm.
Also if you could add all your config files that might help.

the XML file doesn't seem right - maybe it saved badly.

More
21 May 2021 23:54 #209812 by vedatech
Here are the .ini and .hal files I'm using to test PyVCP in axis. Its a work in progress. The stepgens are working and and tested with the steppers. The limit switches and other externals are not wired yet, that's why I made the PyVCP port_test - to help trace out the physical wiring.
I don't know what happened with the first attached .xml, the '-<' is not there in the original. Here is a new one. Also, the difference in the button name spelling is because I changed it to be sure I was reading the correct file.
Attachments:

More
24 May 2021 21:30 - 24 May 2021 21:30 #210109 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Axis problem
What error are you actually seeing now? I would not expect to see any "port_test' pins as the "loadusr" line is commented out in the HAL.
Last edit: 24 May 2021 21:30 by andypugh.

More
26 May 2021 15:50 #210358 by vedatech
Back after handling a few unrelated problems.
The .hal and .ini files I attached do not show a problem as they are now. When I start Axis I get a stand alone set of buttons which work correctly.
However, if I comment out 'PYVCP = port_test.xm' in the .ini and
uncomment 'loadusr -Wn port_test pyvcp -c port_test port_test.xml' in the .hal
then I get a set of buttons in the Axis window but they are not functional - the Leds don't work and the output port pins don't switch.
I must be missing something.

More
26 May 2021 19:32 #210384 by andypugh
Does something make hal pin connections in a postgui hal file?

Start LinuxCNC from the command-line to see if there are any errors. Ot is possible that HAL parsing is stopping before making the connections.

More
26 May 2021 20:19 - 26 May 2021 21:14 #210392 by vedatech
Sorry, I got that backwards the .ini .hal, and postgui.hal that I originally sent cause linuxcnc to fail with the message:
" postgui.hal:23: Pin 'port_test.btn00' does not exist"

Running ">linuxcnc -d -v" on the command line shows that the .ini .hal, and postgui.hal were found and loaded but I don't see any reference to the port_test.xml file which defines the button names. Perhaps its not reading the .xml file?If I use both the .hal loadusr command and [DISPLAY] PYVCP = port_test.xml then I get both the Axis and stand alone buttons, but only the stand alone buttons work. So, port_test.xml is loaded correctly by the loadusr command but somehow not for the Axis only buttons even if I give the full path name in the .ini.

If I use [DISPLAY] PYVCP = port_test.xml in the .ini do I need to explicitly load the .xml somewhere else? Maybe its being loaded too late?

The attached screenshot shows what I get using both the .ini and .hal calls. The floating pins work, the Axis pins don't. I can't get the Axis panel without the floating panel.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2021 21:14 by vedatech. Reason: Adding a screen shot

More
27 May 2021 21:52 #210472 by andypugh
Insert the command "show pin" at the start of the postgui.hal file, then start linuxcnc from the command line.

You will get a list of all the pin names at the point that the postgui.hal file runs, and that should help. (You can at least check that the pins are named correctly)

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds