hidconfig lcd problem

More
26 Dec 2019 19:13 #153248 by ftkalcevic
Replied by ftkalcevic on topic hidconfig lcd problem

Yes, I meant this topic www.franksworkshop.com.au/CNC/LathePendant/LathePendant.htm I need to experiment.It is tempting to make a color LCD for a turnkey solution

I went through a few iterations - character LCD, Colour Graphic SPI 8-bit controller, and Colour Graphic SPI 32-bit controller. They all worked, but the graphics displays ended up requiring custom software to get the most out of the display. I wrote a separate application just for the menu and display on the pendant LCD, which wasn't reusable.

My next iteration was to create an "LCD Monitor" - using a microcontroller to drive the small displays over USB, making it look like a monitor to linux. Then any application can be displayed on the pendant's LCD. Unfortunately, this was a part time project, and every time I revisited it, the displays I was using became unavailable (usually just the driver chip changed and the connector pinout).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2019 00:54 #153345 by porshe
Replied by porshe on topic hidconfig lcd problem
You have on page with remote control there is archive with files (Hal, Python, hid). Do I need any other software to link hidcomp to the color display of an 8-bit controller? Have you also programmed in Atmel Studio? I've read about your work with USB displays. That's why I asked about installing from pathpilot sources: the easiest way is to make a mini computer with linuxcnc and a touch screen on a raspberry. Now there are inexpensive displays for which you do not need to write a driver. For example. wiki.52pi.com/index.php/5-Inch-800x480-H...ch-Screen_SKU:Z-0053

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F172024085721

Supports Windows XP SP3, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Android 4.2, Windows CE7, Ubuntu and Debian. 

But first I'll try with simple examples on atmega 128.

More
28 Dec 2019 01:57 #153349 by ftkalcevic
Replied by ftkalcevic on topic hidconfig lcd problem

You have on page with remote control there is archive with files (Hal, Python, hid). Do I need any other software to link hidcomp to the color display of an 8-bit controller? Have you also programmed in Atmel Studio?

The way I had it set up was...
  1. Python script sends simple text commands, eg "cls", "text 2,3,"hello"" over a socket connection to hidcomp
  2. hidcomp sends the commands over USB to the generichid firmware
  3. generichid sends spi messages to display microcontroller
  4. display microcontroller writes to display

Have you also programmed in Atmel Studio?

Yes, that's what I use.

Now there are inexpensive displays for which you do not need to write a driver. For example. wiki.52pi.com/index.php/5-Inch-800x480-H...ch-Screen_SKU:Z-0053

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F172024085721

Supports Windows XP SP3, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Android 4.2, Windows CE7, Ubuntu and Debian. 

But first I'll try with simple examples on atmega 128.

Those are HDMI displays. I tried to create a small USB monitor for the beagle bone running machinekit and the CRAMPS breakout - the breakout board uses some of the HDMI pins so you can't use HDMI.

With those mini monitors, if you have 2 video outputs, you can just create a second UI (touchy?) and force that to appear on the small monitor - I'm thing of a small monitor on the pendant.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds